You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music went missing off my iTunes library

I lost quit a bit of my iTunes library and for example Adele I had 12 albums NOT ALL PURCHASED THROUGH ITUNES BUT SOME I COPIED OFF FRIENDS WHO I LOST TOUCH WITH. I can see them all on my iPhone but they are no longer in my PC library. I am afraid if I sync my iPhone to iTunes library it will delete the previous music off my iPhone as it is no longer in my library. Please help as I have had to rebuild my library completely once already due to Microsoft screwing up. I know purchased music from iTunes is not a problem but some albums are copied and will be lost forever.

thanks anyone

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 3:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 9:51 AM

Music copied from friends is not yours to keep. That constitutes an infringement of copyright (you're breaking copyright - it's illegal).

Anyone here offering advice on recovering music that you copied from your friends will be breaking Apple's Terms of Use that they agreed to when they created their Apple account. In other words, we are not permitted to help you recover music that isn't yours to keep.

For music that you have purchased but have now lost:

• if purchased online, go to your account in the store that you bought it from and download a replacement copy
    • if copied from your purchased copy of a CD (compact disc), re-copy from that disc into your iTunes Library

Looking into the future, make a backup of all your music on an external drive to help protect you from this issue again.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2022 9:51 AM in response to mitchellwestend

Music copied from friends is not yours to keep. That constitutes an infringement of copyright (you're breaking copyright - it's illegal).

Anyone here offering advice on recovering music that you copied from your friends will be breaking Apple's Terms of Use that they agreed to when they created their Apple account. In other words, we are not permitted to help you recover music that isn't yours to keep.

For music that you have purchased but have now lost:

• if purchased online, go to your account in the store that you bought it from and download a replacement copy
    • if copied from your purchased copy of a CD (compact disc), re-copy from that disc into your iTunes Library

Looking into the future, make a backup of all your music on an external drive to help protect you from this issue again.

Music went missing off my iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.