You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer says welcome to your new iphone

I am trying to backup a phone I have not previously synched to my PC. When I plug it in, it says "Welcome to your new iPhone" and gives me options of setting up as a new iPhone or restoring from a backup that doesn't exist. I don't want to wipe the memory of the phone--I want to back it up. How can I get to the next step?

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 11:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 11:49 AM

That is, in my opinion a very confusing message and has happened to me in the past.

The "setup as new" means it will set it up as a new device syncing to that computer -- not that it will erase the device.

When connecting an iPad or iPhone to computer iTunes for the first time, you will get the choice to restore from backup or setup as new; the setup as new choice does nothing to the iPhone or iPad (i.e., it does not erase the device -- however if any data was previously synced from another computer to the device, that data will be removed from the device..

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2022 11:49 AM in response to jessie_holly

That is, in my opinion a very confusing message and has happened to me in the past.

The "setup as new" means it will set it up as a new device syncing to that computer -- not that it will erase the device.

When connecting an iPad or iPhone to computer iTunes for the first time, you will get the choice to restore from backup or setup as new; the setup as new choice does nothing to the iPhone or iPad (i.e., it does not erase the device -- however if any data was previously synced from another computer to the device, that data will be removed from the device..

Computer says welcome to your new iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.