You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't connect to wifi in an incredibly frustrating way

I can't make my phone either connect to or disconnect from WiFi. An example: right now, I'm home and my Mac laptop is connected to my home wifi network. My phone is next to my computer, so theoretically has similar signal, but is not connecting. BUT if I look at wifi on my phone in control center, it shows the name of my network and an IP address etc - all the things that imply it is, in fact, connected. BUT the wifi symbol is not appearing in the upper right of my phone (just cell bars) and when I try to do something like download an app, it asks me if I want to wait for a wifi connection. The frustration comes from the fact that I can't actually do anything - I go to connect to wifi, and it shows I already have. I disconnect, and nothing changes. I note this also seems to happen in reverse - if I am someplace where I want to stop using the wifi, it takes 2-6 tries to get my phone off the network.

This has been going on for at least a month.

I have rebooted but that has not changed the situation.

iPhone 12 pro max running iOS 15.5

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 10:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 10:44 AM

MargotAV wrote:

I can't make my phone either connect to or disconnect from WiFi. An example: right now, I'm home and my Mac laptop is connected to my home wifi network. My phone is next to my computer, so theoretically has similar signal, but is not connecting. BUT if I look at wifi on my phone in control center, it shows the name of my network and an IP address etc - all the things that imply it is, in fact, connected. BUT the wifi symbol is not appearing in the upper right of my phone (just cell bars) and when I try to do something like download an app, it asks me if I want to wait for a wifi connection. The frustration comes from the fact that I can't actually do anything - I go to connect to wifi, and it shows I already have. I disconnect, and nothing changes. I note this also seems to happen in reverse - if I am someplace where I want to stop using the wifi, it takes 2-6 tries to get my phone off the network.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2022 10:44 AM in response to MargotAV

MargotAV wrote:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

iPhone won't connect to wifi in an incredibly frustrating way

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.