You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I sync my music library all playlists revert to old versions. Is there a fix?

I liked iTunes. But the update to Apple Music has been a nightmare. I do not subscribe, but I'd like to use the app to organize and play my music. I have lots of playlists and lots of music, carefully curated. All of my work is for nothing, because when I sync (using the Finder, because that's how I have to do it now), all the playlists lose years' worth of changes on my Mac AND on my iPhone. They revert to very old versions of the playlists. Basically, Apple keeps making me cry, and I'm at my wits' end.

And there's no way to turn on/off Sync Library on my iPhone (as suggested on another thread) because it's not an option since I'm not an Apple Music subscriber.

Is there any solution?

My system:

Mac OS Catalina

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 2:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 3:02 PM

I may have found a solution. I restored a backup of the library first from Time Machine. Then when I synced the phone, I did not attempt to back up my phone to my computer first. I don't know why that would've created a problem, but I think the latest playlists are now on the phone.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 12, 2022 3:02 PM in response to SkyDiary

I may have found a solution. I restored a backup of the library first from Time Machine. Then when I synced the phone, I did not attempt to back up my phone to my computer first. I don't know why that would've created a problem, but I think the latest playlists are now on the phone.

When I sync my music library all playlists revert to old versions. Is there a fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.