You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to type a new email in Apple Mail

I can only type a few lines when a prompt shows up "The message (whatever) could not be moved to the mailbox "AOL". Mail was unable to open this mailbox on the server "map.aol.com". The server returned the error: SELECT invalid credentials. I can't finish the email because it keeps popping up.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 7:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 7:36 AM

Hello 1Bob1Phil1Pat,

Typically, "invalid credentials" means that your user name or password that has been stored is not valid. You may want to revisit the Account Setup Screen to validate that information before starting to send/receive emails.

Open the Mail application, Click on the Mail header menu > Select "Accounts". Try typing your user name and password in again here.

If that does not work, make sure you've entered the correct settings for Mail under the "Advanced" button on the same screen.

-> https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-use-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-aol-mail

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2022 7:36 AM in response to 1Bob1Phil1Pat

Hello 1Bob1Phil1Pat,

Typically, "invalid credentials" means that your user name or password that has been stored is not valid. You may want to revisit the Account Setup Screen to validate that information before starting to send/receive emails.

Open the Mail application, Click on the Mail header menu > Select "Accounts". Try typing your user name and password in again here.

If that does not work, make sure you've entered the correct settings for Mail under the "Advanced" button on the same screen.

-> https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-use-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-aol-mail

Trying to type a new email in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.