You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have iCloud and I deleted all photos from my phone but dont know where to locate them in iCloud.

I have iCloud and I deleted all photos from my phone but dont know where to locate them in iCloud.

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 10:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 11:39 AM

Hi Annie

When you delete a photo or video from your iPhone/Pad…, then it is also deleted from iCloud and all your devices using the same Apple I.D. You should have seen a pop-up warning that "This photo will be deleted from iCloud Photos on all your devices."

When you delete your photos, your iPhone created an album named "Recently Deleted".

Open Photos, select Albums in dock, scroll down to the very bottom and you will find the Recently Deleted Album.

Your photos are moved to there for 30 days by default. For 30 days only, you can go to the "Recently Deleted" album, and select the photos you want to recover; or select all and recover. After 30 days all bets are off for recovery.

If you are running out of space on your iPhone, Apple has built in a way to optimize photo storage. In settings for your iPhone: Settings>General>iPhoneStorage>Optimize Photos> Enable; will compress your photos and only keep lower resolution on the phone, but full resolution in iCloud that can be downloaded when needed. This will free up storage space on your iPhone.

I highly recommend that you keep a local drive that backs ups your photos/important documents and that you also keep your iCloud back-ups.

So if it hasn't been 30 days, restore your deleted photos, create a local back-up, optimize storage if needed.

Hope this Helps, Greg

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 17, 2022 11:39 AM in response to AnnieGal1027

Hi Annie

When you delete a photo or video from your iPhone/Pad…, then it is also deleted from iCloud and all your devices using the same Apple I.D. You should have seen a pop-up warning that "This photo will be deleted from iCloud Photos on all your devices."

When you delete your photos, your iPhone created an album named "Recently Deleted".

Open Photos, select Albums in dock, scroll down to the very bottom and you will find the Recently Deleted Album.

Your photos are moved to there for 30 days by default. For 30 days only, you can go to the "Recently Deleted" album, and select the photos you want to recover; or select all and recover. After 30 days all bets are off for recovery.

If you are running out of space on your iPhone, Apple has built in a way to optimize photo storage. In settings for your iPhone: Settings>General>iPhoneStorage>Optimize Photos> Enable; will compress your photos and only keep lower resolution on the phone, but full resolution in iCloud that can be downloaded when needed. This will free up storage space on your iPhone.

I highly recommend that you keep a local drive that backs ups your photos/important documents and that you also keep your iCloud back-ups.

So if it hasn't been 30 days, restore your deleted photos, create a local back-up, optimize storage if needed.

Hope this Helps, Greg

Aug 17, 2022 11:07 AM in response to AnnieGal1027

AnnieGal1027 wrote:

IF you synced them to the cloud, then it is also deleted as outlined here Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you weren't syncing them to the cloud and backed it up to the cloud, then you restore your device from said backup What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.