You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I select the correct disk in the Startup Disk while installing Monterey?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 1:11 PM

9 replies

Aug 20, 2022 1:18 PM in response to robinfrommayville

In my latest installation I was booted into the drive that I wanted to install Monterey so there was no issue. There have been times when I was installing an update and had more than one drive running Monterey connected so there was a window that came up asking me which drive to install on. If there's only one you just agreed and continue.

Aug 20, 2022 4:01 PM in response to robinfrommayville

It might be time to make an appointment at the nearest Apple Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider and have them do the installation. The M1 units are a different breed than the Intex Mac that I'm accustomed to.

If you do go into an Apple or Servie Provider for help make sure you have a recent and full backup of your boot drive. Use Time Machine for that as it's easy to recover from in the event they have to erase the drive and reinstall Monterey from scratch.

Aug 20, 2022 1:29 PM in response to robinfrommayville

Installer says "You must provide authorization for this volume by installing it as your startup disk. You can restart the installer after providing this authorization." How do I provide authorization? Tried drag and drop. Tried selecting the disk in the startup disk (only one there, and the one I'm booted into). Never get the "continue" option in the installer.

Aug 20, 2022 1:45 PM in response to robinfrommayville

I have made all of the BigSur updates that are available. Still cannot install Monterey (never get the continue button). Do I have to create some volume for installation (how? why?)?

I do not need Monterey, just don't want to get too far behind on updates. Will these problems be addressed soon?

This is like the old Windoze days...

Aug 20, 2022 3:52 PM in response to Old Toad

I'm not trying to boot from an external drive. I'm just trying to upgrade my MacBook Air from Big Sur to Monterey, as it keeps asking me to, and I like to keep up to date. Since I don't need Monterey and it seems many are having problems with it, I think I'll stay with Big Sur and ignore the upgrade requests, as annoying as they are. It seems Monterey was released a bit prematurely.

Thank you for replying.

I'm a retired electrical engineer who worked on all of the PowerPC microprocessor design teams, along with the IBM Power6 and AMD's dual quad opteron, and before that, in a series of startups. Spent many years fighting flaws with Windoze, so have appreciated Apple's more careful approach - they just seemed to work. Now, though, I'm wondering what's going on. I hope they get it together, else we're kinda screwed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.