You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV App Keeps Switching from HD to SD TV Show

I own the complete series of Sex and the City in HD.

I start an episode, in HD, and then when it gets to the next episode it keeps switching to the SD version, and for the next episodes as well.

I do not have this issue with any other TV show than this one. The SD version looks awful, but for some reason the Apple TV app on my Apple TV 4K keeps watching to switch to that one.

How do I fix this? And yes, “Best Available” is already selected in the iTunes Movies and TV Shows app.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 9:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 3:24 AM

For issues with specific titles from the iTunes Store, contact the Apple Media Services staff.

If you watch in the TV app, then do verify the Details page for this show, in that How to Watch is set to get content from the intended content provider (tv [=iTunes Store]), in case it is available to you from multiple providers. That might be reason for it to switch unintentionally.

If you watch in the iTunes TV Shows app, then the content provider setting does not apply, as that is always iTunes Store.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2022 3:24 AM in response to evilsilence

For issues with specific titles from the iTunes Store, contact the Apple Media Services staff.

If you watch in the TV app, then do verify the Details page for this show, in that How to Watch is set to get content from the intended content provider (tv [=iTunes Store]), in case it is available to you from multiple providers. That might be reason for it to switch unintentionally.

If you watch in the iTunes TV Shows app, then the content provider setting does not apply, as that is always iTunes Store.

Aug 21, 2022 3:47 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Hello,

How do I set where to get the How to Watch from a specific provider? Apple Store is listed, but asks me to buy the seasons individually when I already own the Complete Series in HD in iTunes, and this is a newer HD season pack that has not been discontinued from the iTunes Store.

When I watch the episodes in the TV Shows app, they play fine in HD, but it's annoying because the seasons are listed as just episode numbers and not actually split into seasons (it also doesn't play the next episode automatically), which is why I prefer the Apple TV app. When I go into the recently watched in the Apple TV app however, it switches to SD, even though it says I own HD for it all in the actual Apple TV store. It very perplexing. It should be playing the highest resolution available.

I used to own the old SD boxset before I upgraded to the HD version, which should have just upgraded it all, it wasn't a new package. Could this be the issue?

Apple TV App Keeps Switching from HD to SD TV Show

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.