You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Coping with two factor authentication

I wish the two-factor authentication did not exist, but it does. When I need to utilize two-factor authentication it sends a code to an iPad that I rarely use or don't even have with me. I ONLY want the pass code sent to my iPhone. When this happens I say that I did not receive the pass code and tell Apple to send the code to my iPhone. Instead of doing this manually every time, isn't there some way to put my iPhone number as the primary method of sending the code?

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 11:05 AM

The way that it is supposed to work (and usually does for me) it that the code is supposed to be sent to every trusted device. There is no option to choose a primary device. Occasionally it skips one or more devices for me.

If your iPhone is set as a Trusted device (not just a Trusted phone number) and the code is not being sent to it, you may want to contact Apple Support. There is a Get Support link at the top right of this page. See the information on managing Trusted device and phone numbers in Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2022 11:05 AM in response to Ziatron

The way that it is supposed to work (and usually does for me) it that the code is supposed to be sent to every trusted device. There is no option to choose a primary device. Occasionally it skips one or more devices for me.

If your iPhone is set as a Trusted device (not just a Trusted phone number) and the code is not being sent to it, you may want to contact Apple Support. There is a Get Support link at the top right of this page. See the information on managing Trusted device and phone numbers in Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Aug 21, 2022 2:39 PM in response to Ziatron

There are many ways to explain this. This is the same info, just presented differently.

A Trusted Device is any Apple device which is signed-in with your AppleID. All trusted devices will receive the 2FA verification code ASSUMING they have a “live” data connection to the internet. (w/o “live” data they won’t know to “pop-up” the special dialog box)

Trusted Devices do NOT receive the codes via SMS.

A Trusted Number is any voice or SMS-capable number(s) you designate to receive 2FA verification codes in the event that you DON’T have access to your Trusted Devices.

They do NOT automatically receive codes; they are sent individually, one-at-a-time to the specific number which you select from your pre-designated list. (After correctly entering your AppleID and Password)

They are effectively “recovery” numbers.

Your actual device generally should NOT be a trusted number. (That would potentially allow fraudsters to receive your 2FA code simply by placing your SIM into their device)

I hope this helps … ???

See also:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Aug 21, 2022 2:12 PM in response to FoxFifth

I did a little research on my own, and I found the procedure for adding a trusted device for Two Factor Authentication. My iPhone says "This device IS trusted and can receive Apple ID verification codes". However, I don't receive codes on my iPhone unless I tell Apple I did not receive a code and specifically request it be sent to my phone number.

Coping with two factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.