You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Monterey 12.5.1

I have a compatible 2019 Mac Air running Mac OS. Attempting to upgrade to Monterey while installing the latest security updates. When I click on the upgrade button, it takes me to a screen indicating that the Mac must be restarted. Then, nothing happens (for over an hour) plus I cannot exit from the upgrade program to manually restart the system. Additionally, even my shut down is disallowed because of the Monterey upgrade program. I seem to be frozen a bit. Does anyone know what is happening here and how to escape?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 11:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 1:30 PM

Hi,

Hold down the power button for up to 10 seconds to shut down. Then try restarting normally. If that works, shut down and try booting into Safe Mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support and see if the upgrade will work there.

Similar questions

3 replies

Upgrading to Monterey 12.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.