You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restrictions on family sharing for an adult

Is there any way to put restrictions similar to a child account on an adult account attached to my family sharing? I have an elderly family member who was scammed and asked to download a screen sharing app which could have been avoided if the ask to buy feature was activated.

iPad Air 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 6:43 PM

5 replies

Aug 21, 2022 7:15 PM in response to MrHoffman

It would be for an iPad, iPhone & iwatch. They are in their 80’s and “clicking on things” and getting confused. I am trying to reduce the exposure to scams while maintaining some independence. A screen time/focus wouldn’t do as they would just type in their pin and proceed. I can manage with my children's accounts, I was hoping there was an option for older adults who need similar support in the digital world.

Aug 21, 2022 8:04 PM in response to Christique

Ask To Buy can only be turned on for members up to 17 (age varies by country - https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/).

"You can use Screen Time to prevent unintentional or unauthorized purchases from the App Store and other Apple services. You can require a password for purchases, prevent certain types of purchases, or disable purchasing completely."

Prevent in-app purchases from the App Store - Apple Support

Aug 21, 2022 6:55 PM in response to Christique

Is this involving Mac or iPhone or iPad?

Screen Time can be used as a means of parental controls on iPad and iPhone, using a screen time password. Focus can also be used to keep certain apps hidden.

As for payments, don’t have a means to purchase on the Family Sharing account. There’s no means to isolate one user from a shared payment setup, other than setting up each user for payments individually, save one.

Restrictions on family sharing for an adult

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.