You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downloading iMovie on refurbished laptop

I recently bought a refurbished laptop macbook air md71111a I believe, I was trying to download iMovie but, it keeps saying that the El Capitan needs 11.5 or later. I am wondering how do I get that upgrade??

MacBook Air 11″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 9:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 9:50 AM

Apple isn’t making many of its tools newly available on older versions, and there’s no easy means to get older versions of the apps.

See if the app is in your previous purchases in the Mac App Store, and try downloading from there.

Otherwise… See the following for one possibility: Imovie for old Mac OS - Apple Community

md71111a isn’t a valid model. The last three of that Apple part number format would probably be LLA or LL/A. There is an MD711LL/A, which is a MacBook Air 11” mid 2013 with 128 GB. That Mac can get to Big Sur (macOS 11), but 128 GB is going to be tight.

Getting Big Sur: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

El Capitan is, well, ancient. It’ll have issues with all sorts of things, including with establishing secure network connections. Some of these can be fixable, such as loading a new root cert for LetsEncrypt, and some others will be more problematic.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2022 9:50 AM in response to kynnidy

Apple isn’t making many of its tools newly available on older versions, and there’s no easy means to get older versions of the apps.

See if the app is in your previous purchases in the Mac App Store, and try downloading from there.

Otherwise… See the following for one possibility: Imovie for old Mac OS - Apple Community

md71111a isn’t a valid model. The last three of that Apple part number format would probably be LLA or LL/A. There is an MD711LL/A, which is a MacBook Air 11” mid 2013 with 128 GB. That Mac can get to Big Sur (macOS 11), but 128 GB is going to be tight.

Getting Big Sur: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

El Capitan is, well, ancient. It’ll have issues with all sorts of things, including with establishing secure network connections. Some of these can be fixable, such as loading a new root cert for LetsEncrypt, and some others will be more problematic.

downloading iMovie on refurbished laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.