You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring my IMac to Catalina after messing up a factory reset.

Can my IMac be restored to Catalina after messing up a factory reset, ending up with OS X 10.9.5, if it’s possible any advice would be gratefully received, I made the mistake of following a YouTube video in order to do a factory reset.

iMac 27″, 10.15

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 9:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 9:33 AM

Let's start with which exact model is your iMac? If I understand your post correctly, it is now running OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) ... correct? Finally, your goal is to upgrade it to macOS Catalina? If so, do you already have a backup as performing a "factory reset" would completely erase your Mac's system drive, before installing a "fresh" copy of Catalina.

Ref:

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2022 9:33 AM in response to Oldfartimus

Let's start with which exact model is your iMac? If I understand your post correctly, it is now running OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) ... correct? Finally, your goal is to upgrade it to macOS Catalina? If so, do you already have a backup as performing a "factory reset" would completely erase your Mac's system drive, before installing a "fresh" copy of Catalina.

Ref:

Restoring my IMac to Catalina after messing up a factory reset.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.