You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder iCloud icons do not match reality

M1 MacBook Pro, latest Monterey 12.5.1.

In Finder, several folders have the 'Waiting to upload' grey cloud icon, and the Size column shows an up arrow with 8.85 GB, indicating how much has not yet uploaded; but the contents have been the same for months (I have plenty of iCloud storage left). But when I look at icloud.com in a browser, all of the files are there!

I created a new file this morning and the 8.85GB went to 8.87GB, indicating the new file had not been uploaded. So I checked with icloud.com and there it is, it had been uploaded.

I simply can't trust the icons and size column in Finder to tell me whether files have been synced or not!

I spoke to apple support yesterday and they had me reboot into safe mode. After a few reboots the Size column emptied but the icon stayed as 'waiting to upload'.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 1:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 4:28 AM

Sign Out of iCloud completely and restart the computer.

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Sign back Into iCloud

We are trying to Force a Re-Sync and hopefully will fix the issue

Re-Boot Normally and re-test.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2022 4:28 AM in response to regreting

Sign Out of iCloud completely and restart the computer.

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Sign back Into iCloud

We are trying to Force a Re-Sync and hopefully will fix the issue

Re-Boot Normally and re-test.

Aug 25, 2022 3:57 AM in response to regreting

I think you just need to be patient. Not every internet evolution happens nearly as fast as it "should". There are always conditions that slow things down and some files just take longer.

I've had exactly what your have described. But, sooner or later, it all uploaded and all was fine.

Trusting the icons is a moot point to me. They are what they are and you can't really do anything to change the basic characteristics/natures of your Mac or the internet. You can pay for greater upload speeds, but that can get expensive. We have a 600 Mbps download line, but upload is something on the order of 20Mbps. And we seldom see those speeds, i.e. they are always slower for whatever reasons.

Aug 25, 2022 4:01 AM in response to ku4hx

I've got 200Mb/s upload speed, the files have uploaded. But the User Interface of the operating system does not show the true facts. That's fundamental for me - if I can't trust what I see on screen, what's the point! I now have to go to a browser to check whether the files are actually there.

I'm talking about this being months, not minutes!

Finder iCloud icons do not match reality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.