You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring my old phone to my son - Apple IDs wont decouple from each other

My son had an Iphone and it was damaged - so I have given him my old iPhone 11. I am trying to take all my Apple ID data off that phone - set him up a new one, and decouple that phone from my Apple ID.

I have tried everything suggested but I keep going around in circles - if I change the e mail on one phone it effects the other's apple ID and same with telephone number.

I feel I am confusing both phones - I just want him to have my old phone and his own Apple ID, and I carry on using my new phone with my Apple ID - at the minute the two are intertwined.

It's very frustrating for something that should be so easy.

Is there a away I can cancel everything I've set up for him and start again, making sure my Apple ID is as it was.

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 1:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 4:27 AM

It sounds as if you are doing all that in the wrong order.

For your old iPhone 11 go through Apple's set of steps in What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, specifically under the heading If you still have your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. This will conclude with the erasing of the iPhone's content and settings and get it to a position where it can be set up for a new user.

It will be put to factory settings and by this point will not be attached to your iCloud account. Then you can set it up as a new phone for your son - provided he has his own Apple ID. To have the iPhone work independently of your account it must be set up with a different Apple ID.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2022 4:27 AM in response to Noseeg

It sounds as if you are doing all that in the wrong order.

For your old iPhone 11 go through Apple's set of steps in What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, specifically under the heading If you still have your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. This will conclude with the erasing of the iPhone's content and settings and get it to a position where it can be set up for a new user.

It will be put to factory settings and by this point will not be attached to your iCloud account. Then you can set it up as a new phone for your son - provided he has his own Apple ID. To have the iPhone work independently of your account it must be set up with a different Apple ID.

Transferring my old phone to my son - Apple IDs wont decouple from each other

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.