You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail crash lost SAVED draft

I just spent three hours writing a very large email with two attachments, during which I assumed it was automatically saved.

When I clicked send, I got a message regarding my account, the password was not up to date. I updated it and closed that window. I clicked "save" on the draft menu just to be sure. When I closed the draft window to restart the app, the app crashed. I opened it again, and my draft is nowhere to be found.

Please help, I could do with a screenshot of what I wrote. There was important scientific/work content. I am beyond appalled

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 8:05 PM

5 replies

Aug 25, 2022 8:23 PM in response to muguy

Thank you, just did, it is not there. I believe the password change didn't allow for the draft to sync to the external account. Still, when I click save, shouldn't there be a local copy? I have multiple accounts with Mail. Could it be - at least the text, not the attachments - in the crash report somewhere??

I am feeling quite devastated. Living and learning

Aug 25, 2022 8:34 PM in response to joana271

If you were electing to save, the message should update in the drafts folder.

You could try looking for a file on your Mac. Open Finder. Use the Go menu option and navigate to "go to folder." Enter ~/Library/Mail

If you're not seeing a draft in the Mail app it's unlikely anything is in those folders; and, you don't want to mess around a lot with all the files in there.

The text will not appear in a crash report

Aug 25, 2022 8:47 PM in response to muguy

This email account was just syncing to the server, I just learned that Mail does not sync all accounts by default. And I also just confirmed in Utilities/Console that the crash report is stored, with the exact time of the crash, and the report does not contain the text.

Again, live and learn. Write your emails in a document and save, or make sure to force your Email app to SAVE your drafts in the disc (that can be backed up) because it doesn't by default.

Mail crash lost SAVED draft

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.