You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook not charging and bad battery usage

Hello,

1. i have an 11 inch macbook from 2017 I believe, the last 6 months or so the battery health has rapidly declined and in an hour it can go from 100 percent to zero. Can this be fixed on my own and if so how do i fix this? Or if not, what bis the cheapest and easiest way to get the battery to last as long as it used to?

2.Often when i plug it in to charge, it only appears with the plug icon and refuses to charge. What does this mean and how can i stop it from doing that and just charge normally?

MacBook, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 1:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 2:38 PM

frejaholmer wrote:

1. Hello,
i have an 11 inch macbook from 2017 I believe, the last 6 months or so the battery health has rapidly declined and in an hour it can go from 100 percent to zero. Can this be fixed on my own and if so how do i fix this? Or if not, what bis the cheapest and easiest way to get the battery to last as long as it used to?

There is no such thing as11-inch MacBooks. Did you mean a 2017 Retina 12-inch model instead? Regardless, It may be possible that the battery in your MacBook is failing. Apple considers a notebook's battery requires replacement, unless it cannot maintain, at least, an 80% charge after 1000 full recharging cycles.

Fixing the battery, yourself, will be considered difficult as removing the battery takes over 50 steps and there is a potential danger of exposing the battery and cause a fire. It is best to let Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider perform the work for you.

Ref:

2.Often when i plug it in to charge, it only appears with the plug icon and refuses to charge. What does this mean and how can i stop it from doing that and just charge normally?

Your notebook's charger is actually built-in. The device that you connect to it, is power adapter. That built-in charger is "smart." That is, it knows how much power it needs to draw to either charge or maintain the charge on the battery. If it is actually failing to charge, the issue could be the built-in charger (part of the notebook's logic board), the power adapter, or the condition of the "charging" cable.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2022 2:38 PM in response to frejaholmer

frejaholmer wrote:

1. Hello,
i have an 11 inch macbook from 2017 I believe, the last 6 months or so the battery health has rapidly declined and in an hour it can go from 100 percent to zero. Can this be fixed on my own and if so how do i fix this? Or if not, what bis the cheapest and easiest way to get the battery to last as long as it used to?

There is no such thing as11-inch MacBooks. Did you mean a 2017 Retina 12-inch model instead? Regardless, It may be possible that the battery in your MacBook is failing. Apple considers a notebook's battery requires replacement, unless it cannot maintain, at least, an 80% charge after 1000 full recharging cycles.

Fixing the battery, yourself, will be considered difficult as removing the battery takes over 50 steps and there is a potential danger of exposing the battery and cause a fire. It is best to let Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider perform the work for you.

Ref:

Your notebook's charger is actually built-in. The device that you connect to it, is power adapter. That built-in charger is "smart." That is, it knows how much power it needs to draw to either charge or maintain the charge on the battery. If it is actually failing to charge, the issue could be the built-in charger (part of the notebook's logic board), the power adapter, or the condition of the "charging" cable.

Macbook not charging and bad battery usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.