You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music app closes when trying to search for a song

Today I've been trying to search for songs on the Music app on my MacBook Pro 16" 2021 (M1 Max) and every time I type in 2 letters it won't allow my to type in a third, the wheel comes up and the app shuts down. Any ideas how to fix this? I have a large library and need to use this feature.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 8:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 11:57 AM

Actually found a solution for a problem that probably won't ever be fixed on the Music app. I dug deep on the support boards and if you click "view" and then go to "show filter field" you can search that way.

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 3, 2022 2:21 PM in response to Cindy Rosenblum

Hi Cindy,

It sounds like your Music app is crashing when you use the search feature, and we can help.

You mention that you're seeing the wheel, how long have you waited for this process to complete? How large is the large library in question?

Are you able to use Spotlight Search to find these songs? Try searching a song title in Spotlight.

Here's how to search with Spotlight:

Search with Spotlight on Mac

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Sep 5, 2022 12:56 PM in response to Rigo_O86

I don't know exactly how long it takes to crash but it seems to be 5 minutes or less. I can't tell you how large my library is because I can't find anywhere on the apple music app where it tells you the total amount of songs you have. On iTunes this was easy. It must be over 10,000 songs though.

Searching through Spotlight isn't the answer. That will not help me be able to find the songs in the music app in order to drag them to a playlist, which is what I use the search feature in Apple Music for. I've done some research and it looks like this is an awful bug that needs to be worked out. Funny how the search feature works fine in the music store though.

Music app closes when trying to search for a song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.