You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro mid 2014 upper half of trackpad can't be clicked

Hi everyone, I have a mid '14 MBP 15" Retina i7, High Sierra 10.13.6 with a trackpad that is stuck but only in the upper half of the trackpad. The lower half clicks but with a lot of effort. Additionally the middle of the keyboard has started to get very, very warm. I attached my temperature sensor readings in case there are any funny numbers. Initially I thought it might be the battery expanding but I've heard replacements are expensive so I was hoping for another explanation before taking it in to Genius Bar. If it matters, the Airport Proximity sensor is at 48 but I'm not using wifi at all. I also ran system diagnostics but don't know what info would be needed to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks ahead of time.

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 8:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 9:23 AM

TwoDollar wrote:

Hi everyone, I have a mid '14 MBP 15" Retina i7, High Sierra 10.13.6 with a trackpad that is stuck but only in the upper half of the trackpad. The lower half clicks but with a lot of effort. Additionally the middle of the keyboard has started to get very, very warm. I attached my temperature sensor readings in case there are any funny numbers. Initially I thought it might be the battery expanding but I've heard replacements are expensive so I was hoping for another explanation before taking it in to Genius Bar. If it matters, the Airport Proximity sensor is at 48 but I'm not using wifi at all. I also ran system diagnostics but don't know what info would be needed to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks ahead of time.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/20b0b4b1-27a8-4ad8-9ea5-8b1a447c2fcc

well... either the trackpad has accumulated debris around the edges or there is a cable issue...

Either way consider it hardware, and nothing to be done here on line.

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

An external Bluetooth trackpad is an option.

Magic Trackpad - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Set up your Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, or Magic ...

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 5, 2022 9:23 AM in response to TwoDollar

TwoDollar wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/20b0b4b1-27a8-4ad8-9ea5-8b1a447c2fcc

well... either the trackpad has accumulated debris around the edges or there is a cable issue...

Either way consider it hardware, and nothing to be done here on line.

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

An external Bluetooth trackpad is an option.

Magic Trackpad - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Set up your Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, or Magic ...

Macbook Pro mid 2014 upper half of trackpad can't be clicked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.