You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS software update

Can't update my mac, try to get an app and says I need latest OS version, go to software update and it doesn't find an update for my mac. Currently have High Sierra v/10.13.6. What can I do to update?

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 2:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 3:04 PM

Apple differentiates updates (what you are checking) from upgrades. Updates are minor changes and fixes and are expected to be compatible changes. Upgrades are larger and more involved, and can and variously do disrupt some apps, and can add or remove various features. Upgrades must be specifically requested, as app stuff can break.

Please post the model and model year of this Mac. The Mac model and model year are displayed by 🍎 > About This Mac. With both the model and model year re-posted here, we can then provide you with your upgrades options, as determined by the specific Mac and model year you have.

Or you can learn more about this upgrade yourself: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Have a complete and current backup before performing any upgrade.

There can be other upgrade considerations, depending on which macOS version you (can and do) upgrade to.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 5, 2022 3:04 PM in response to Double0757

Apple differentiates updates (what you are checking) from upgrades. Updates are minor changes and fixes and are expected to be compatible changes. Upgrades are larger and more involved, and can and variously do disrupt some apps, and can add or remove various features. Upgrades must be specifically requested, as app stuff can break.

Please post the model and model year of this Mac. The Mac model and model year are displayed by 🍎 > About This Mac. With both the model and model year re-posted here, we can then provide you with your upgrades options, as determined by the specific Mac and model year you have.

Or you can learn more about this upgrade yourself: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Have a complete and current backup before performing any upgrade.

There can be other upgrade considerations, depending on which macOS version you (can and do) upgrade to.

OS software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.