You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Workout Discrepancies

If I go for a walk in my neighborhood and walk 2 miles. I burn X number of calories. However if I record an outdoor walk on my Apple Watch and walk the same 2 miles, I burn way more calories. Why the discrepancy?

Thank you

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 2:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 4:04 PM

robertmar,

Recording the workout on the Apple Watch using one of the applicable workout types helps with ensuring accuracy by invoking various sensors and features for the workout type.

This page can help with getting the most accurate measurements: Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch

Info on the various workout types can be located here as well: Workout types on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Cheers.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2022 4:04 PM in response to robertmar

robertmar,

Recording the workout on the Apple Watch using one of the applicable workout types helps with ensuring accuracy by invoking various sensors and features for the workout type.

This page can help with getting the most accurate measurements: Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch

Info on the various workout types can be located here as well: Workout types on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Cheers.

Sep 10, 2022 8:29 AM in response to robertmar

Hi robertmar,

To make sure we're on the same page, what devices are you seeing a discrepancy between? Are you referring to just walking using your iPhone vs a tracked workout on your Apple Watch?

If so, the iPhone is using the pedometer to track steps taken, whereas the Apple Watch has a suite of biometrics at its disposal to give a much more detailed and accurate measure of calories burned.

See more info here: Track daily activity with Apple Watch - Apple Support

Take care.

Sep 10, 2022 12:40 PM in response to robertmar

The results are both on my phone. If I walk 2 miles, my phone tracks my steps and calories for the time I walked. If I then do the same walk and track it with my watch as an Outdoor Walk, The calories burned are more than the previous unrecorded the Outdoor walk, but essentially I have exerted the same effort for both. That is the discrepancy. I hope that helps. Thank you.

Apple Workout Discrepancies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.