You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Mid 2014 will not charge

In 2022, the original battery was no longer holding charge very long, but it would charge.

The MacOS status showed the battery was no longer healthy and should be replaced.

I replaced the original battery with non-Apple battery.

After two months, the replacement battery would not charge.

Menu bar shows a plug icon, and the drop down menu it shows the battery is not charging.

Tried different Apple chargers (I have more than one for this laptop).

Reset SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Tried booting in Big Sur and in Mojave.

Ran Apple diagnostic and it says the battery might have a problem.

Replaced the battery again today with a non-Apple battery, and this third battery will not charge.

I noticed a prior thread on this, but there were no replies with a resolution.

For those others who have had this problem, did anyone take the laptop to Apple?

Did Apple explain that this is a hardware failure?

Is it a software problem - must I use an Apple battery instead of a third-party battery?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 2:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 6:00 PM

Is it a software problem - must I use an Apple battery instead of a third-party battery?

Aftermarket battery quality is notoriously poor. The only reason to resort to that very unattractive option is when a Mac becomes too old for Apple to service it.

I believe a 2014 model remains eligible for authorized service — however — if you performed "do it yourself" repairs Apple may henceforth refuse to service it.

Start here: Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2022 6:00 PM in response to texas tumbleweed

Aftermarket battery quality is notoriously poor. The only reason to resort to that very unattractive option is when a Mac becomes too old for Apple to service it.

I believe a 2014 model remains eligible for authorized service — however — if you performed "do it yourself" repairs Apple may henceforth refuse to service it.

Start here: Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

MacBook Pro Mid 2014 will not charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.