You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Backup Inquiry

Hi all,

I've just backed up my iPhone on an iMac. I also have an iPhone backup on a MacBook Pro (I presume that's what is meant by 'iOS Files'), however the backup on the MacBook Pro says it hasn't been accessed since 9th April 2022, does this mean it is a backup of from my iPhone from April? If so, am I able to delete it as I have a new backup on the iMac?

Thanks.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 1:40 PM

6 replies

Sep 11, 2022 1:47 PM in response to Zacenator

I don’t understand your question.

• ”I’ve just backed up my iPhone on an iMac.” Therefore, we know where your current backup resides. Assuming one backup is all you need, nothing else matters.
  • ”((I presume that’s what meant by ‘iOS Files’)” I have no idea what this means, or in what context you might have seen this.
  • Again, it’s hard to understand the relevance of any MacBook Pro backup. What might you be trying to achieve?

Sep 11, 2022 2:02 PM in response to Zacenator

On the MacBook Pro......

Click on the Finder icon

Select the iPhone from the left panel of the Finder window

Click on Manage Backups

Check to see the file for the latest backup of the iPhone

Delete the file if you no longer need it

But.......since the iPhone is already connected to your MacBook Pro......it would not hurt to run a new backup again......just in case. There are far worse things than having two current backups, unless your MacBook Pro is really tight on available space.

Sep 11, 2022 2:20 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

But.......since the iPhone is already connected to your MacBook Pro......it would not hurt to run a new backup again......just in case. There are far worse things than having two current backups, unless your MacBook Pro is really tight on available space.

WARNING: Backing up a device will overwrite any older backups of that device unless the older backup was made with a different version of iOS, or if you archive the older backup. To archive a backup in the Manage Backups dialog right click on the backup and choose Archive.

Sep 11, 2022 2:47 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Not sure why one would want to keep a backup dated April 9, 2022, but you never know.

I think you assumed that I meant that there would be two backups on the same Mac. I should have clarified that the iMac would have one current backup and the MacBook Pro a current backup as well for a total of 2 current backups, one on each Mac.

iPhone Backup Inquiry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.