You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't customize iPhone lock screen after iOS 16 update

After updating to iOS 16 there does not appear to be any way to edit the default Lock Screen. There should be a way to change the photo. Yes, once you create a new Lock Screen then you can ignore the original default Lock Screen, but you cannot remove it. Seems odd.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 5:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 10:25 AM

Thanks for these steps, Colleen. What we’re referring to is the fact that in Step 1 you’re forced to choose Add New Wallpaper. There’s no way to edit or otherwise customize the existing default Lock Screen.

Similarly, when accessing the Customize options directly from the Lock Screen, clicking Customize below the default Lock Screen automatically brings up the Add New action—there’s no way to customize the existing default. I can’t change the time font, add widgets, etc. to my existing default Lock Screen.

To take advantage of the new Lock Screen features (specifically the customized font and widget options), I had to manually recreate my default Lock Screen (and Home Screen, since you can only save the preset pair or manually customize a new Home Screen to go with the newly-created Lock Screen).

Since there’s also no way to delete the default Lock Screen, I now have a defunct, duplicated default that I can’t remove.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2022 10:25 AM in response to ColleenD1

Thanks for these steps, Colleen. What we’re referring to is the fact that in Step 1 you’re forced to choose Add New Wallpaper. There’s no way to edit or otherwise customize the existing default Lock Screen.

Similarly, when accessing the Customize options directly from the Lock Screen, clicking Customize below the default Lock Screen automatically brings up the Add New action—there’s no way to customize the existing default. I can’t change the time font, add widgets, etc. to my existing default Lock Screen.

To take advantage of the new Lock Screen features (specifically the customized font and widget options), I had to manually recreate my default Lock Screen (and Home Screen, since you can only save the preset pair or manually customize a new Home Screen to go with the newly-created Lock Screen).

Since there’s also no way to delete the default Lock Screen, I now have a defunct, duplicated default that I can’t remove.

Sep 15, 2022 11:15 AM in response to Ken Graham

Hi Ken Graham,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with changing the Wallpaper on your Lock Screen. We'd like to help.

Are these the steps you're following to get that set up? Change the wallpaper on iPhone - Apple Support

Change the wallpaper
1. Go to Settings  > Wallpaper, then tap Add New Wallpaper.
The wallpaper gallery appears.
2. Do one of the following: 
* Tap a button at the top of the wallpaper gallery—for example, Photos, People, Photo Shuffle, Emoji, or Weather—to design your wallpaper with a photo, an emoji pattern, a picture of your local weather, and more.
* Tap a wallpaper option in one of the categories—for example, Featured, Suggested Photos, or Photo Shuffle.
3. To customize a photo on your wallpaper, see Add a photo to your Lock Screen.
4. Tap Add, then do one of the following:
* Choose whether to use the wallpaper on both the Lock Screen and Home Screen: Tap Set as Wallpaper Pair.
* Make further changes to the Home Screen: Tap Customize Home Screen. Tap a color to change the wallpaper color, tap the Photo On Rectangle button to use a custom photo, or select Blur to blur the wallpaper so the apps stand out.

If not, please give those steps a try as they are specific to iOS 16.

Let us know if that helps.

Take care!

Oct 1, 2022 10:35 AM in response to southfacingwindows

Re: deleting the default, I stand corrected!

When accessing the Customize options directly from the Lock Screen—and when I was using a newer Lock Screen/Home Screen combo I’d created—I was able to delete the default. Still cumbersome that I had to manually recreate everything, but at least the uncustomizable default is now gone.

Can't customize iPhone lock screen after iOS 16 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.