You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16 HDMI failure on iPhone 13 mini

After installing iOS 16 the HDMI connection to TV failed on iPhone 13 mini.

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 6:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 12:40 PM

Thank you for those suggestions. I was able to switch out the adapter, the HDMI cable, use an alternate port, and cleaned all the ports and connections.

I also reset my iPhone twice to allow for possible installation (iOS 16) corruptions.

Still having the same issue with Hulu, Hoopla, and PBS apps. YouTube, though, with any of the scenarios.

Thanks.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2022 12:40 PM in response to barberlives123

Thank you for those suggestions. I was able to switch out the adapter, the HDMI cable, use an alternate port, and cleaned all the ports and connections.

I also reset my iPhone twice to allow for possible installation (iOS 16) corruptions.

Still having the same issue with Hulu, Hoopla, and PBS apps. YouTube, though, with any of the scenarios.

Thanks.

Sep 17, 2022 8:59 AM in response to samccool

Second Level Support does not believe it is Apple issue. They believe developers for several apps failed to test for this use case during iOS 16 beta. (I am not in complete agreement on that assessment). We have several iPhones- SE 2020, 12 and 14 as well as an iPad Air 5th Gen (2022). 

The iPhones SE & 12 are running iOS 16, and the iPhone 14 is running iOS 16.0.1 and a few apps:  Apple‘s TV app (at least for purchases - streaming not downloaded in our testing), Crackle, YouTube, Disney+, PBS Video, Pluto TV, Tubi, Vimeo, Roku for their Roku channel viewed on mobile) can finally stream fine via Apple’s Lightning Digital AV Adapter (lightning to HDMI) again. 

HOWEVER, the majority of apps may provide video only, but no sound (or the opposite). For commercial supported applications the video and sound may play for commercials and trailers, but then drop audio or video or both when the show starts (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Peacock, Paramount+ (this app was squirrelly before the iOS update, now it is a complete disaster), Plex, etc.) This latter group in contrast with the former group does add credibility to Apple’s position that the issue is with the developers who did not test for the lighting to HDMI adapters to stream what is in our iPhones to our TVs or large monitors. Apple still is missing opportunity to document for their support teams AND developers what in iOS 16 was such a huge change that it broke the ability to steam to another screen via HDMI for so many applications.

Our iPad Air 5th Gen 2022 is running iOS 15.7 and streams everything fine via USB C to HDMI adapter. No issues. We have great trepidations about updating our iPad to the next iPad OS if this issue is not resolved by then.

Bottom line: dubious business model to tell a customer that he/she needs to reach out to each application to request a fix (that would be quite time consuming to work the escalation process for each app).

Sep 15, 2022 11:34 AM in response to samccool

Hey samccool,

If the HDMI connection is not working the following steps could help:

• Test with another adapter and HDMI cable to isolate the issue. If there are other HDMI ports on your TV, test with those as well.

• Check all ports for any dust or debris as well as that could cause connection issues.

• Restart all your devices.

You can read more about connecting your iPhone to your TV here:

Connect iPhone to a display with a cable

Take care.

iOS 16 HDMI failure on iPhone 13 mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.