You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPad Air 4th Generation think that the latest IOS is 15.7 not 16?

What can I do to to convince my iPad Air 4th Generation (M1) with IOS 15.7 that there is a further update to IOS16?

Both my Apple iPhones updated first to IOS 15.7 and then 16:0 without problems and work fine but the iPad is stuck on 15.7

To check further I connected my iPad to my latest MacBook Pro M1 to check for an iPad update using the laptop via a USBC connection. Doing this it too reported that the iPad was on the latest version 15.7 !

What is going on?

iPad Air 4 Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 6:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 6:00 AM

Unlike iOS16 for iPhone, released yesterday, iPadOS16 is not due for release until sometime in October. 

However, iPadOS 15.7 was also released yesterday - incorporating essential security updates.

About the security content of iOS 15.7 and iPadOS 15.7 - Apple Support

While iOS16 is available for iPhone, iPhone owners have the option to just install iOS15.7 at this time.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2022 6:00 AM in response to peterfrombognor regis

Unlike iOS16 for iPhone, released yesterday, iPadOS16 is not due for release until sometime in October. 

However, iPadOS 15.7 was also released yesterday - incorporating essential security updates.

About the security content of iOS 15.7 and iPadOS 15.7 - Apple Support

While iOS16 is available for iPhone, iPhone owners have the option to just install iOS15.7 at this time.

Sep 13, 2022 6:19 AM in response to peterfrombognor regis

Consider that iOS is for iPhone - while iPadOS relates specifically to iPad - as tvOS applies to AppleTV. As such, the target device platform is self explanatory.

Apple does publish release information - that outlines precisely which devices the updates relate. Some examples:

iOS 16 is available today - Apple

About iPadOS 15 Updates - Apple Support

Apple security updates - Apple Support

Why does my iPad Air 4th Generation think that the latest IOS is 15.7 not 16?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.