You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro vs USB SuperDrive

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro 13-inch laptop running macOS Monterey version 12.6. I bought a USB Superdrive back when I had an older MacBook Pro before this one and it worked fine.

My 2016 laptop doesn't seem to be on the list of laptops it works with. I plug the superdrive in using a USB-C to USB Apple adaptor and it sounds like the SuperDrive turns on... but then it doesn't accept any discs.

Is there any way I can go about getting this to work on my 2016 laptop or is it a lost cause? (Please also let me know if there are any additional specs you need to know for this question.)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 6:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 8:38 AM

your superdrive should work without issue with your MBP. and using the apple adapter that you are using, it fulfills the requirement that the superdrive be connected directly to the Mac. since yours isn't working, I would try and reset the SMC as well as an NVRAM reset.

please see these apple support articles:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2022 8:38 AM in response to kkijin

your superdrive should work without issue with your MBP. and using the apple adapter that you are using, it fulfills the requirement that the superdrive be connected directly to the Mac. since yours isn't working, I would try and reset the SMC as well as an NVRAM reset.

please see these apple support articles:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

MacBook Pro vs USB SuperDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.