You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset laptop that is backed up to iCloud

All my files are backed up to my iCloud account. Can I factory reset my laptop without losing any of this data. I would like to factory reset my MacBook Pro then restore it so that it has everything that it has on it now. How do I do this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 6:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 1:05 AM

Before erasing the hard drive , make sure in Mac system preferences > all inbuilt applications box should be turned as on including iCloud Drive , desktops and documents Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac and iOS devices - Apple Support , safari , keychain box and others like notes , calendars , contacts , photos , mails ( an IMAP account should be configured ) , reminders ....etc see the article

Set up iCloud features on Mac - Apple Support

Once you erase the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support and set up new Mac Set up your Mac - Apple Support the same Apple ID and password with all accounts credentials known to you has to be signed in Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support Mac system preferences the iCloud has to be set up Set up iCloud on your Mac - Apple Support again iCloud Drive is to be turned on Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support

And inbuilt apps boxes are to be turned on the data stored from apps and that was configured with iCloud will again sync in the new operating system ( make sure your iCloud data should not never exceed the designated storage limit ) .

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2022 1:05 AM in response to melissagoolsby

Before erasing the hard drive , make sure in Mac system preferences > all inbuilt applications box should be turned as on including iCloud Drive , desktops and documents Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac and iOS devices - Apple Support , safari , keychain box and others like notes , calendars , contacts , photos , mails ( an IMAP account should be configured ) , reminders ....etc see the article

Set up iCloud features on Mac - Apple Support

Once you erase the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support and set up new Mac Set up your Mac - Apple Support the same Apple ID and password with all accounts credentials known to you has to be signed in Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support Mac system preferences the iCloud has to be set up Set up iCloud on your Mac - Apple Support again iCloud Drive is to be turned on Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support

And inbuilt apps boxes are to be turned on the data stored from apps and that was configured with iCloud will again sync in the new operating system ( make sure your iCloud data should not never exceed the designated storage limit ) .

Factory reset laptop that is backed up to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.