You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PAGES... Document management

Hi! How do I remove specific pages from a document in Pages? When I select the page I want to delete in the thumbnail view and hit "delete" it says I will lose my whole document. THANK YOU!

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 3:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 12:04 PM

THANK YOU for your response, picas! I appreciate it!

THIS IS A PROBLEM FOR ENGINEERING/DESIGN TO SOLVE.

You are right. After spending 2 hours with some great Apple helpers (one creative and one technical) we realized that the DEFAULT DOCUMENT BODY setting in Pages is designed to create a FIXED document... NOT a flexible layout document as was the case a few iterations of Pages ago.

So, months ago, I took off writing a lengthy document only to recently discover I can't move pages around.

After we finally figured out the format DESIGN FLAW (my words, not theirs), the Apple people investigating this (they were great) tried valiantly to figure out a way to manually move my written pages into lay-out mode, but it wouldn't let us. It transferred whole pages of text as small text boxes.

So now I have to RETYPE 60 PAGES in order to continue working with a document fit for editing down the line.

I can't understand why Apple made what I am calling a no-brainer basic design mistake! (Maybe there are some tiny instructions written somewhere that explains this and warns people about the default setting, but if so, I can't find them.)

The reason I am shouting in capitals (sorry) is because I hope an APPLE DESIGNER/ENGINEER might actually notice this and do something.

THERE ARE TWO POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS FOR THIS PROBLEM: 1) Make the DEFAULT Document Body a flexible program (as it was a while ago) so users can simply move thumbnails around, or at minimum 2) Give us a warning that we must CHOOSE to use either an immovable layout program or a flexible layout program in the format box.

It boggles my mind that APPLE DESIGNERS wouldn't make thumbnail movement a SIMPLE DEFAULT. It's an absolute necessity for creativity, especially now that iBooks Author is gone.

WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF THIS WOULD ACTUALLY CHANGE? I won't make the same mistake again, but I'm sure a lot of others will.

So, to THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT THUMBNAIL MOVEMENT IN YOUR DOCUMENT:  Before you start writing, UNCHECK "Document Body" in the format box and convert your document to a Layout document!! :-) You're welcome.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2022 12:04 PM in response to picas

THANK YOU for your response, picas! I appreciate it!

THIS IS A PROBLEM FOR ENGINEERING/DESIGN TO SOLVE.

You are right. After spending 2 hours with some great Apple helpers (one creative and one technical) we realized that the DEFAULT DOCUMENT BODY setting in Pages is designed to create a FIXED document... NOT a flexible layout document as was the case a few iterations of Pages ago.

So, months ago, I took off writing a lengthy document only to recently discover I can't move pages around.

After we finally figured out the format DESIGN FLAW (my words, not theirs), the Apple people investigating this (they were great) tried valiantly to figure out a way to manually move my written pages into lay-out mode, but it wouldn't let us. It transferred whole pages of text as small text boxes.

So now I have to RETYPE 60 PAGES in order to continue working with a document fit for editing down the line.

I can't understand why Apple made what I am calling a no-brainer basic design mistake! (Maybe there are some tiny instructions written somewhere that explains this and warns people about the default setting, but if so, I can't find them.)

The reason I am shouting in capitals (sorry) is because I hope an APPLE DESIGNER/ENGINEER might actually notice this and do something.

THERE ARE TWO POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS FOR THIS PROBLEM: 1) Make the DEFAULT Document Body a flexible program (as it was a while ago) so users can simply move thumbnails around, or at minimum 2) Give us a warning that we must CHOOSE to use either an immovable layout program or a flexible layout program in the format box.

It boggles my mind that APPLE DESIGNERS wouldn't make thumbnail movement a SIMPLE DEFAULT. It's an absolute necessity for creativity, especially now that iBooks Author is gone.

WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF THIS WOULD ACTUALLY CHANGE? I won't make the same mistake again, but I'm sure a lot of others will.

So, to THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT THUMBNAIL MOVEMENT IN YOUR DOCUMENT:  Before you start writing, UNCHECK "Document Body" in the format box and convert your document to a Layout document!! :-) You're welcome.

PAGES... Document management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.