You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot copy Applications folder icon

I can mostly copy and paste icons in the "Get Info" window. In the "Get Info" window for the /Applications folder the icon can be selected (giving it a blue glow), and with it selected the Copy command is available in the Edit menu. However, a copy operation results in an empty Clipboard (as viewed by the Finder "Edit> Show Clipboard" window).

The why: I like to make a folder with sub folders for different categories, each containing aliases to appropriate apps. For many, many years, I have copy-pasted the /Applications folder icon onto my folder. I can't say for sure when this stopped working, but it I'm hitting this problem in Monterey 12.6.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 7:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 1:44 PM

@OrigamiFan1 : Please note that your response does not address my question. The question is about Copy & Paste of an icon, not a file or folder.

Good point about Safe Mode. I have tested, and the problem remains in Safe Mode. I have also tested on three different computers (two MacBook Pros, one iMac).

I am suspicious that this is a system bug, related to the fact that "/Applications" is actually a smart folder, combining the contents of two real folders.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2022 1:44 PM in response to OrigamiFan1

@OrigamiFan1 : Please note that your response does not address my question. The question is about Copy & Paste of an icon, not a file or folder.

Good point about Safe Mode. I have tested, and the problem remains in Safe Mode. I have also tested on three different computers (two MacBook Pros, one iMac).

I am suspicious that this is a system bug, related to the fact that "/Applications" is actually a smart folder, combining the contents of two real folders.

Sep 21, 2022 8:50 AM in response to James6M

Hi James6M,

For help with copying and moving files and folders, test the steps below found in the article here: If you can’t move or copy an item on Mac

"If you can’t move or copy a file or folder, you might need to change its permissions settings. You might also need to change permissions settings for the disk, server, or folder where you want to move the item.

1. On your Mac, select the item, then choose File > Get Info, or press Command-I.
  2. Click the arrow  next to Sharing & Permissions to expand the section.
  3. Click the pop-up menu next to your user name to see the permissions settings.
  4. If you’re not logged in as an administrator, you may need to click the lock  to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password (or use Touch ID or your Apple Watch).
  5. Change the permissions to either Read & Write or “Read only.” 
  6. If you need to, also change the permissions for the location where you want to put the item."

You can also may find helpful information here: Organize files in folders on Mac - Apple Support

If the issue remains, test in safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Cheers.

Cannot copy Applications folder icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.