You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Photos Randomly Disappeared

Hi everyone

I have a 2016 Macbook Pro. I've always had photos from previous macbooks stored in my photos. When I got this mac in 2016, I backed up everything per usual including photos and videos from 2010. I've always been able to view these photos and videos in the photos app. A few days ago, I was looking for a photo and I noticed all my photos and videos (anything before 2019) was gone.

I was only seeing the photos and videos that were on my phone. I'm so confused and frustrated, because those were cherished memories.

I never deleted them, there may have been a not enough storage issue but I have purchased the extra storage space. Where would it have gone and how can I get them back?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 9:23 PM

Yes in 2016 I backed up. If I understand the term correctly. I had a different laptop (Macbook Air) and usually when you place the new one next to the old one (I'm sorry I don't remember details, it was so long ago), but all my files photos and just everything went from the air to the new one. I had access to this pictures last month.....I don't know if logging into my Icloud changed things, because now photos from my phone keep appearing in my photos app on my macbook when that wouldn't happen before.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 19, 2022 9:23 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Yes in 2016 I backed up. If I understand the term correctly. I had a different laptop (Macbook Air) and usually when you place the new one next to the old one (I'm sorry I don't remember details, it was so long ago), but all my files photos and just everything went from the air to the new one. I had access to this pictures last month.....I don't know if logging into my Icloud changed things, because now photos from my phone keep appearing in my photos app on my macbook when that wouldn't happen before.

Sep 19, 2022 10:07 PM in response to anie225

When you enable iCloud Photos on more than one device, for example on a Mac and your iPhone the Photos libraries on all devices are kept identical. New photos from your iPhone will appear on your Mac, and any photo you delete from your iPhone will be deleted from your Mac, to keep the sets of photos on all devices identical. You should only use iCloud Photos, if that is what you want - exactly the same photos on all your devices.

Sep 20, 2022 12:04 AM in response to anie225

Ah - is it possible that the photos from your mac appeared on your phone and you deleted them from your phone?

If so then with a sync via icloud (as Leonie has said) they would also be deleted on your mac. If this is the case was it less than 30 days ago?

If so they will still be in the recently deleted folder, and you should look there now and restore if they are there.

Macbook Photos Randomly Disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.