You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing music to wife and daughter's iPhones

We just got 3 iPhones 14 Pro and I want to do things right from the beginning.

I want to have my music shared with my wife and daughter’s iPhones.

I’d like to share how I’m planning to do it and get feedback if it’ll work like it should or I have to do change something.

To “download” my music into their phones I want to copy and paste my original “Music Library.musiclibrary” to 2 different folders (~/Wife’s name/Music and ~/Daughter’s name/Music).

Open (option click on the “Music” icon) each of them, edit each (leave the music each of them will prefer) and close.

Then, again, open each, connect each with USB to my Finder and do a sync while the corresponding library is active. (In the Finder settings check “Sync music onto X’s iPhone” and so).

From then on, when each of them will make changes in their phones, (and/or I will make changes in their libraries on my MBP) I will open Music choosing the corresponding library, connect each with USB to my Finder, do a sync (in the Finder settings check “Sync music onto X’s iPhone” and so) and changes will be reflected in their libraries. 

I hope I succeeded to explain clearly what I want.

Thanks in advance. GM

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 10:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 5:53 AM

Hello GoldMiner,

To have specific libraries for each of you to sync, you would want to follow: Use multiple libraries in Music on Mac

Each iPhone you sync with your computer will then be able to choose what music to sync with their device, following: Sync music between your Mac and iPhone or iPad

Best regards

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 25, 2022 11:12 AM in response to GoldMiner

Hello GoldMiner,

We don't recommend syncing multiple separately owned devices with a single computer, as that can cause data from the Apple ID in use with the computer to get crossed with the various phones and vice versa. To share music, the safest option is using Family Sharing with an Apple Music library or to share purchased content between family members. More details can be found here: Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

"Family Sharing makes it easy for up to six family members to share music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, subscriptions including iCloud+, and more, all without sharing an Apple ID. You can set up an Apple ID for kids, set permissions remotely with Screen Time, and approve spending and downloads from a parent's device with Ask to Buy.2 You can also set up Apple Cash for a child or teen, or set them up with an Apple Watch."

Cheers!

Oct 6, 2022 11:41 AM in response to Jeff_W.

Thanks!

Just wanted to wrap up so it will be clear to whoever has the same question (I know I had problems grasping)...

First I duplicated my own original library twice (one for daughter one of wife) so the starting point will be the same.

From here, every change they will do in her iPhones and or Music app will be reflected when syncing with my MBP.

Then renamed each with it's own name (tip: I like to insert the date in a yymmdd format for searching and finding purposes later on)

(Apologize for the huge images, no idea if/how I can "shrink" them)

Created a new folder for the new libraries:

Created sub folders for each new user:

and transferred each new library to it's corresponding sub-folder

Now option clicked each library (this is just a "bonus pic" of cute screen saver)... 😊, hit "Choose Library" and chose the corresponding one

After Music app opened I went to Preferences/Files and defined the path of the file.

Tip: just to know which user's library I'm in I added an empty folder with the name and date (I won't take the credit for it because that's a tip I read quite some time ago in this forum)...

And... that's it! Quite easy and simple.

Will be happy to answer any questions if they arise.

Thanks for all the help I got in this forum during years!

GM

Oct 6, 2022 9:05 AM in response to Chris_C1

Hello Chris_C1:

Thanks for your reply. You pointed me exactly to the info I was looking for!

(And that's exactly how I wanted to do it ("Open (option click on the “Music” icon) each of them, edit each (leave the music each of them will prefer) and close.") I just "overexplained" and complicated it too much)... :-)))

Anyway, I got my answer from the links you posted.

THANKS- A- LOT!!!

GM

Syncing music to wife and daughter's iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.