You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup size

I removed most of the apps from my iPhone backup and but backup size is still very high (+9 GB). In the apps I don't see anything adding up to that, so I am assuming it's some system files. Is there any way to bring this size down?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 8:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 8:56 PM

I found it, it was the messages mostly. Please ignore the post.

Also, the confusion came from the fact that there are 2 different places where you can see a breakdown of backup:

1. If you have an old backup and you haven't deleted it: When you to your Apple ID settings and click on backups and then select the device (iPhone in my case), you'll see a list of installed apps and also the size of your next backup. Now this list might not add up to the number in "next backup size". This is because it doesn't show the messages and other things.
  2. Now to see the actual breakdown: Go to Apple ID settings and then iCloud and then click on "Manage Account Storage", here you can go in the first few options like Messages and see the actual size.

I found out that my messages backup is about 7 GB which is making my next backup around 9 GB. Apologies for creating a new post about this, I just checked there are existing posts but couldn't find this information, hope this helps someone. Thanks!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2022 8:56 PM in response to ritesh313

I found it, it was the messages mostly. Please ignore the post.

Also, the confusion came from the fact that there are 2 different places where you can see a breakdown of backup:

1. If you have an old backup and you haven't deleted it: When you to your Apple ID settings and click on backups and then select the device (iPhone in my case), you'll see a list of installed apps and also the size of your next backup. Now this list might not add up to the number in "next backup size". This is because it doesn't show the messages and other things.
  2. Now to see the actual breakdown: Go to Apple ID settings and then iCloud and then click on "Manage Account Storage", here you can go in the first few options like Messages and see the actual size.

I found out that my messages backup is about 7 GB which is making my next backup around 9 GB. Apologies for creating a new post about this, I just checked there are existing posts but couldn't find this information, hope this helps someone. Thanks!

Backup size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.