You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pins problem in Safari 16

Hi, I could not find an answer here on this forum. I hope I am not repeating another thread ...

I have just installed Safari 16. Do you know why it keeps forgetting any pins of tabs and any tag groups every time I quit Safari?

I have tried changing the setting of the system “not to close documents while closing an app” and this does not help neither.

It is very strange feature. Are pinning a tab is now valid only valid for a session and has to be repeated each time you open Safari? - not very convenient, is it?

Do you know any solution to keep pins in Safari?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 2:55 AM

11 replies

Sep 26, 2022 7:23 AM in response to CheGiwera

Hi Che,

It seems you're having trouble with Safari clearing pins each time you restart and we want to help.

Do you have any cleaner software or anti virus software that might be resetting your Safari settings every time you close it?

You could try starting in safe mode to see if the issue persists here:

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Sep 27, 2022 8:36 AM in response to CheGiwera

CheGiwera, 

Though there isn’t a way to downgrade Safari, we’ll be glad to assist with troubleshooting and isolating the situation. Do you use iCloud to sync your Safari tabs? Set up and use iCloud Tabs - Apple Support. You can verify that in System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > Safari. 

If so, and you use Safari on another device, are those tabs showing open there still? 

Thanks. 

Sep 27, 2022 11:18 AM in response to CheGiwera

We appreciate your continued testing and reporting back, CheGiwera. Next, to help rule out something within your user profile causing the issue, we'd like you to create a test user profile. Make sure it has administrative privileges then log in to it. Pin some tabs in Safari and create a few tab groups as well. It can be the same websites or different ones you normally have.

See if Safari forgets your pins and tab groups or keeps the same information. When you are done, you can log back in to your user profile. Reply back with how the testing goes.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Best regards.

Sep 29, 2022 2:26 AM in response to AnnieL2

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I have signed into iCloud while creating a new profile. There is no problem with pins in the new empty profile.

To manage possible iCloud interference I logged into my profile and:

(1) disconnected synchronisation of Safari with iCloud - did not helped.

(2) logged out from iCloud entirely - did not helped.

(3) logged in again to iCloud - did not helped.

In every instance pins are lost each time I close and open Safari 16

Please consider that I do not lose “favourites” and any links saved with Safari - the problem is with pins only. Safari does not open last session tabs neither (that is not a problem for me but it might be a clue). Each time it opens with a blank page.

I have played with several different general options in Safari 16 and none helped.

Attached pls find the list of current settings that do not solve the pins problem neither.

Sep 27, 2022 12:27 AM in response to CheGiwera

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

No. I do not use any “cleaner software” and I have no antivirus software besides what is provided by MacOS.

I have: (1) rebooted in safe mode, (2) disabled any Safari extensions, (3) disconnected all external devices - nothing helps the problem. All PINs and tabs settings are reset to none each time I restart Safari.

It seems to me that Safari Version 16.0 (16614.1.25.9.10, 16614) does not go along with Big Sur - how do downgrade to previous version of Safari that worked well?

Sep 27, 2022 12:27 AM in response to Rigo_O86

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

No. I do not use any “cleaner software” and I have no antivirus software besides what is provided by MacOS.

I have: (1) rebooted in safe mode, (2) disabled any Safari extensions, (3) disconnected all external devices - nothing helps the problem. All PINs and tabs settings are reset to none each time I restart Safari.

It seems to me that Safari Version 16.0 (16614.1.25.9.10, 16614) does not go along with Big Sur - how do downgrade to previous version of Safari that worked well?

Sep 27, 2022 11:46 PM in response to Soosie_J215

Thank you for your answer.

I have created a new user profile as admin - Pins problem does not occur there.

However I am sure you are aware that creating my profile from scratch is NOT as solution to my problem :)

I do not recollect any changes to my profile after upgrading to Safari 16 what means whatever setting produces losing pins each time I reopen Safari refers to Safari 16 not the previous versions.

Have you got any idea what setting can produce the problem with pins?

Sep 28, 2022 6:01 AM in response to CheGiwera

CheGiwera,

Thus far, no suggestion has been made for you to switch/transition to a new user on your Mac. As mentioned, this is an isolation step to help rule out something within your user profile causing the issue.

Did you sign into iCloud when you set up the new user?

On your user, please launch Safari and navigate to Preferences > General. Let's double verify a couple settings here -

Safari opens with: All windows from last session

New windows open with: <let us know what's selected here>

Then click the Tabs pane

Can you switch whichever one is chosen here? Just to isolate.

If you've made any changes, quit Safari and relaunch, then test.

Thanks.

Sep 29, 2022 8:44 AM in response to Chris_C1

:)

Thank you all for your help anyway :)

I have no more time to dig more into it, so the solution for me to switch from Safari to competitive software.

Safari 16 seem to be a flop ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - pity since Safari is my favourite one.

Since there is no way to downgrade to previous version I will wait for the Safari update - if this will not be solved I get rid of it.

I got used to Safari pins - it is very useful. Without it Safari is just annoying to me.

Best regards

Pins problem in Safari 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.