You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume keys on keyboard minimising + maximising screen, rather than adjusting volume

The above issue started fairly recently.

I have different profiles set up on my iMac and this issue does not exist in them all.

Any assistance, greatly appreciated. Thank you.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 12:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 4:22 AM

Hum - seem to have read somewhere earlier in this question --->>

Important aspect - it is now work as it should.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2022 4:22 AM in response to Fieldview99

Hum - seem to have read somewhere earlier in this question --->>

Important aspect - it is now work as it should.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Sep 27, 2022 2:34 AM in response to Fieldview99

Volume keys as in F10 + , F11 - or Mute F12 ?

4 - Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having a semi - actual On-Hand experience on this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Oct 1, 2022 4:16 AM in response to PRP_53

I actually called Apple Support and the person I spoke to got me restart the iMac in Safe Mode so check if the issue was there, which it was - so we then restarted as usual and the issue was resolved.

We didn't actually change any settings, etc - simply started in Safe Mode, then restarted as normal, and that seemed to do the trick!

Thanks again for your reply.

Volume keys on keyboard minimising + maximising screen, rather than adjusting volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.