You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

siri and voice text not working

I've updated to ios 16 and my siri and voice texting is not working now. It just spins when trying to use them and I've exhausted all options I've googled.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 11:50 AM

Enable Dictation is on and iOS was updated to 16.0.2 and Siri and voice to text stopped working.

got Siri working by changing language to US English. Voice to text still doesn’t work. Hard reboot performed. Please help.

15 replies

Oct 23, 2022 7:21 PM in response to AnnLD

I had the same exact issue and exhausted all options. I ended up resetting my phone and still no luck.

After reading this thread, I looked into the language options on my phone settings>accessibility>voice control>language. It turns out that I did not have a language downloaded. Not sure how that happened but I was able to download English again and now both my Siri and voice text are working!!

Oct 23, 2022 8:57 PM in response to Raebee60

Ever since I updated to the iOS 16 my phone has had so many issues! Over heating when charging when it never did that before until after the update and it started saying “charging is paused until temp returns to normal” or something like that and then siseo stopped working just spins or doesn’t respond at all. And voice to text is completely non responsive, I’ve done reboot, checked settings, started Siri but setting it up again and nothing. It’s all the same. I wish I could go back to the last iOS 15 update because my phone was working perfectly. Even started having connection issues with my AirPods. This update was not worth the hassle for the random new features which do nothing additional for my life. I feel like apple puts out updates so fast without working on the kinks. It’s not a race but a marathon Apple. Slow down and make the updates useful and meaningfully. But please fix these issues. It’s such a daily pain. Thanks!

Sep 30, 2022 7:01 AM in response to Raebee60

Hey there Raebee60,

To help make sure you are able to use voice texting, make sure you have dictation enabled in your settings. Follow the steps below to get this enabled:

1. Go to Settings  > General > Keyboard.
2. Turn on Enable Dictation.

Dictate text on iPhone - Apple Support

If this persists, try closing the Messages app and restart your iPhone.

You'll also want to check for possible software updates. The steps below will help with updates:

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. Choose the software update that you want to install. You can choose to stay on iOS or iPadOS 15 and still get important security updates. Or you can choose the option to upgrade to iOS or iPadOS 16.
5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Take care!

Oct 19, 2022 2:51 PM in response to Raebee60

This has happened on my iPhone, too, seemingly due to the iOS 16 update. The subsequent updates have not fixed it. None of the solutions mentioned thus far on this page have worked for me. My settings are as they should be. I called Apple Support, and they couldn't figure out the problem. On another thread, someone said they went to the Apple Store for diagnostics - their phone was fine, but they had to do a reset to solve the problem. I haven't tried that yet.

siri and voice text not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.