You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically Populate Tables from Another Table

I’m not sure if this is possible.  But, I have a Numbers documents with 4 sheets.  Sheet 1 is a consolidated schedule.  This scheduled on keyed on column A (Field).  

I would like for every Field 1 entry from the Consolidated Schedule (Sheet 1) to populate the Sheet 2, Field 1 table.  Same with Sheet 3, Field 2, etc. As additional data is added to the Consolidated Schedule (Sheet 1), it would automatically add the new information to the appropriate sheet/table.

Thank you.

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 7:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 9:40 AM

Here a simple solution.

Create a second table for Field 1, it can be also on a different sheet.

Add the simple formula A2=Consolidated Schedule::$A2 and B2=Consolidated Schedule::$B2

Drag these formulas tenth rest of the table.

If your main table has empty cells the Filed 1 table will show 0

Create a filter for column Field

As soon as you activate the filter you see only rows for Field 1, all other rows are hidden.

Repeat this for Field 2 and Field 3.

You must ensure that all tables have the same number of rows, if not you could add new entries, but the will not be displayed.

Or you could just add a filter to your main table and set this filter based on what you need to see.

It can get difficult to maintain if you have multiple tables with identical information, even it they update automatically.

Hope this will solve your question, please let me know if this worked for you or if something in unclear.

Ralf

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2022 9:40 AM in response to Bear34_1

Here a simple solution.

Create a second table for Field 1, it can be also on a different sheet.

Add the simple formula A2=Consolidated Schedule::$A2 and B2=Consolidated Schedule::$B2

Drag these formulas tenth rest of the table.

If your main table has empty cells the Filed 1 table will show 0

Create a filter for column Field

As soon as you activate the filter you see only rows for Field 1, all other rows are hidden.

Repeat this for Field 2 and Field 3.

You must ensure that all tables have the same number of rows, if not you could add new entries, but the will not be displayed.

Or you could just add a filter to your main table and set this filter based on what you need to see.

It can get difficult to maintain if you have multiple tables with identical information, even it they update automatically.

Hope this will solve your question, please let me know if this worked for you or if something in unclear.

Ralf

Sep 29, 2022 10:13 PM in response to Bear34_1

Hello Bear34_1,

Here a version without filter.

For each "Field" you need an additional column, #F1, #F2 and #F3

Formula for F3= IF($A3="Field 1",COUNTIF($A$2:$A3,"Field 1"),"-")

It is important that you set the $ for the row, then it will always start the count in row 2 !

The IF check is optional, I thing it will make the table cleaner.

Now you ca n use XLOOKUP to get the data from the main table.

Formula for A2= XLOOKUP(ROW()−1,'Consolidated Schedule-1'::$F,'Consolidated Schedule-1'::A,"-",0,1)

ROW()-1 in cell A2 will return 1 and XLOOKUP will look in column $F for the 1 and return the information from this row in column A

It is important that you use the $ to preserve column F when you copy / drag the formula to the rest of your table.

If you like you can hide the additional columns, in the main table.

Ralf

Automatically Populate Tables from Another Table

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.