You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up Safari bookmarks?

Hey guys, if my iMac should ever crash and would need to get another Mac, would I still have access to my bookmarks? If not, since I keep adding to my bookmarks on a weekly basis, is there a way to "auto" backup my bookmarks to iCloud please?

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 7:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 8:45 AM

If you want absolute assurance your bookmarks don't get altered or deleted, export them: File > Export > Bookmarks...

I used to do that but iCloud syncing is easier.

Be sure to review Restore your Safari bookmarks and Reading List on iCloud.com in that Apple Support document I referenced.

In summary, iCloud already does what you want to do.

You can save your exported bookmarks file in iCloud Drive, just as you can with any other file.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2022 8:45 AM in response to mikehende

If you want absolute assurance your bookmarks don't get altered or deleted, export them: File > Export > Bookmarks...

I used to do that but iCloud syncing is easier.

Be sure to review Restore your Safari bookmarks and Reading List on iCloud.com in that Apple Support document I referenced.

In summary, iCloud already does what you want to do.

You can save your exported bookmarks file in iCloud Drive, just as you can with any other file.

Oct 6, 2022 8:29 AM in response to mikehende

The way iCloud for Safari works is that if you bookmark a tab or window in Safari on your Mac, that Safari bookmark will appear on all your Macs and iOS devices signed into that same Apple ID.

The same goes for your Reading List, Tab Groups... etc.

I don't believe there is a separate way to view them in iCloud.com or to confirm their presence any other way. Syncing only becomes evident when you launch Safari.

Oct 6, 2022 8:19 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks but I am missing something here. These are the instructions for Mac:

Set up iCloud for Safari on your Mac

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Apple ID, then click iCloud.
  2. Select Safari.
  3. To see your bookmarks, Reading List, Tab Groups, and tabs open on your other devices, open Safari.

but as you can see in my screenshot, Safari was already selected in System Preferences yet I am not seeing either a Safari tab or a Bookmarks tab in my iCloud account so how can I see my Safari Bookmarks in iCloud please?

Backing up Safari bookmarks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.