You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 15.7 Mail

Creating tabs in Mail on my iPad with IOS 15.7 is easy, but I feel very stupid I can't remove those tabs. They disappear and reappear, but I don't want to see them anymore. In Safari it is no problem. But what's the trick in Mail?? (And yes I've been searching the internet!)

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 7:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 2:10 AM

The icon/button that you describe/illustrate merely triggers display of the Mail Shelf (the Shelf being a new feature of iPadOS multitasking environment). Tapping the icon summons the shelf view - which will show you a thumbnail image of all the running instances of the Mail App. Where multiple instances are running, a simple tap of a thumbnail will instantly switch to that view.

The iPadOS multitasking environment permits you to run multiple “instances” or views of the same App, such as Mail - with each instance, perhaps having a different open inbox.

For example, if you have three running instances/views of Mail, tapping the icon you describe will open the shelf with three thumbnails - each corresponding to each view within Mail - an individual view perhaps relating to a mailbox or draft Mail message. Simply tapping a thumbnail will switch directly to that running instance/view of the Mail App. 

This article from Appleinsider has a useful explanation of this new feature along with many of the updates to multitasking:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/12/how-to-master-multitasking-on-ipad-and-ipad-pro-in-ipados-15

Another useful resource:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

You should perhaps note that iPadOS15 multitasking, shelf and associated features cannot be disabled - but do not have to be actively used.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2022 2:10 AM in response to ArnlddR

The icon/button that you describe/illustrate merely triggers display of the Mail Shelf (the Shelf being a new feature of iPadOS multitasking environment). Tapping the icon summons the shelf view - which will show you a thumbnail image of all the running instances of the Mail App. Where multiple instances are running, a simple tap of a thumbnail will instantly switch to that view.

The iPadOS multitasking environment permits you to run multiple “instances” or views of the same App, such as Mail - with each instance, perhaps having a different open inbox.

For example, if you have three running instances/views of Mail, tapping the icon you describe will open the shelf with three thumbnails - each corresponding to each view within Mail - an individual view perhaps relating to a mailbox or draft Mail message. Simply tapping a thumbnail will switch directly to that running instance/view of the Mail App. 

This article from Appleinsider has a useful explanation of this new feature along with many of the updates to multitasking:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/12/how-to-master-multitasking-on-ipad-and-ipad-pro-in-ipados-15

Another useful resource:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

You should perhaps note that iPadOS15 multitasking, shelf and associated features cannot be disabled - but do not have to be actively used.

Oct 17, 2022 7:46 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you, LotusPilot.

Now I can find out more about this new feature knowing it is a new feature and how it is called!

And it would have been nice if there was a name or description with the icon I mentioned. (As the other icon has "Filter").

My problem was how to reduce the shelf with 5 thumbnails to a shelf with 2 thumbnails. Luckely I discovered that sliding the thumbnail up (almost halfway the iPad?) it disappears. And yes, it was descibed in: Use mutitasking on your iPad, somewhere halfway the article.

So far so good.

IOS 15.7 Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.