You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail sync

When I delete mail from my gmail account on my iPhone mail app, it used to delete it across all my devices. Now it won't. When I delete from my iPhone, they remain in my inbox on my MacBook Pro and my iMac. I deleted my gmail account from my MacBook and then loaded it again, but no change. Advice?

This is for my gmail imap account, not iCloud, I just couldn't find a Mail topic to select.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 7:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 9:13 AM

Deleting mails from iPhone will remove the mail from the device ( iPhone ) , the mails will not sync when the same gmail address is used and signed in with its password either from Mac / iPhone or other device , when you delete mails from Mac they will move in trash folder of gmail account .

Your can't compare with same Apple ID and password say example1@icloud.com in which pure syncing is occurred .

Deleting mail account from Mac system preferences > internet account has no connection with it , even you again add the accounts .

Just an example if you go to cybercafe where people come and browse for a time and pay to the owner for it and you sign in with your gmail account with credentials from their computer , and you delete mails from there it will be deleted from their device and gmail server and move to trash , once you go to your Mac that is in another location and on the other network , the mails will not be deleted from Mac , the reason they are not synced and it will never happen .

Say your apple id is set with gmail services the devices ( iPhone / Mac ) are synced on the same network still deleting of mails will move them to respective devices .

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2022 9:13 AM in response to blrom14

Deleting mails from iPhone will remove the mail from the device ( iPhone ) , the mails will not sync when the same gmail address is used and signed in with its password either from Mac / iPhone or other device , when you delete mails from Mac they will move in trash folder of gmail account .

Your can't compare with same Apple ID and password say example1@icloud.com in which pure syncing is occurred .

Deleting mail account from Mac system preferences > internet account has no connection with it , even you again add the accounts .

Just an example if you go to cybercafe where people come and browse for a time and pay to the owner for it and you sign in with your gmail account with credentials from their computer , and you delete mails from there it will be deleted from their device and gmail server and move to trash , once you go to your Mac that is in another location and on the other network , the mails will not be deleted from Mac , the reason they are not synced and it will never happen .

Say your apple id is set with gmail services the devices ( iPhone / Mac ) are synced on the same network still deleting of mails will move them to respective devices .

mail sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.