You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

And how do we know that the spotlight index is being rebuild? And how do we know how much time it is going to take? And how do we know when it has finished?

I find the procedure to ask for the spotlight index to be rebuild cumbersome and weird. Adding a folder for exclusion from search and then deleting it is the most weird thing ever. I have done it previously but I wonder why it has to be so strange. Also, there is no way to know if the index is being rebuilt and no information about progress or when the process is complete... Why is this so secretive / indirect / weird?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 3:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 5:51 AM

I find the procedure to ask for the spotlight index to be rebuild cumbersome and weird. Adding a folder for exclusion from search and then deleting it is the most weird thing ever.

You could use the straightforward and clear-cut procedure in the terminal.

sudo mdutil -E <path/to/reindex>

To reindex the entire startup volume

sudo mdutil -E /

Or, just Documents

sudo mdutil -E ~/Documents
5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2022 5:51 AM in response to guiobus

I find the procedure to ask for the spotlight index to be rebuild cumbersome and weird. Adding a folder for exclusion from search and then deleting it is the most weird thing ever.

You could use the straightforward and clear-cut procedure in the terminal.

sudo mdutil -E <path/to/reindex>

To reindex the entire startup volume

sudo mdutil -E /

Or, just Documents

sudo mdutil -E ~/Documents

Oct 14, 2022 5:16 AM in response to guiobus

If you click the menu extras Spotlight icon 🔍 and a blue progress bar appears, then you know Spotlight is still indexing your drive.

I almost never rebuild my Spotlight index and that has not adversely impacted by daily Mac usage. Personally, I don't want an additional GUI item popping up misinforming me that Spotlight will be done indexing in __ seconds or minutes, as it is irrelevant to my other parallel activity during that indexing process.

And how do we know that the spotlight index is being rebuild? And how do we know how much time it is going to take? And how do we know when it has finished?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.