You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo file

My photos are categorized by year on my iPhone, but when I got a new phone, they downloaded from the phone to the computer in one long file. Now, I can't find anything unless I go through my thousands of images one by one and transfer them to a new file. I don't have a clue what year they were taken, and it's extremely tedious. There's gotta be an easier way! H E L P!

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 9:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 9:13 PM

shiana48 Said:

"photo file: My photos are categorized by year on my iPhone, but when I got a new phone, they downloaded from the phone to the computer in one long file.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Duplicate Contacts:

Contact Apple Support:

1. Go Here: If you See Duplicate Contacts after Setting Up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: If you see duplicates in Contacts on iCloud.com, visit Apple Support for help.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)
4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2022 9:13 PM in response to shiana48

shiana48 Said:

"photo file: My photos are categorized by year on my iPhone, but when I got a new phone, they downloaded from the phone to the computer in one long file.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Duplicate Contacts:

Contact Apple Support:

1. Go Here: If you See Duplicate Contacts after Setting Up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: If you see duplicates in Contacts on iCloud.com, visit Apple Support for help.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Oct 18, 2022 10:31 PM in response to shiana48

Your iPhone is using the capture date of the photos, embedded by the camera, to sort the photos.

When you download the photos from the iPhone and view them as files in folders on a computer, they will be sorted by the file creation date, and the file creation date will be the date the photos have been downloaded to the computer. To view your photos organised by the date they have been taken, use a an application on your computer, that can read the embedded capture dates and create a catalogue. I don't use Windows systems, so I cannot recommend app for your computer, perhaps Picasa is still available for your system version, or try Lightroom. On a Mac you would see the same organisation as on your iPhone, if you imported the photos from the iPhone to Photos for Mac.

photo file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.