You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID just now failing to work or scan??

Using a Macbook Pro 16'' M1 Max, 64GB, 8TB SSD, so basically the top of the range Macbook Pro, running MacOS Monterey 12.5.1, all seems fine.

In the last week, Fingerprint opening on Sleep wasn't an option? and stopped working?

So had to use Password.

Checked the Touch ID, and deleted all fingerprints to start again, in case there was an issue.

Now when I go to redo the fingerprints on the Reader itself, to place your finger on the Touch ID, this doesn't even respond?

I have shut down and rebooted, and even deleted all my fingerprints, to start again.

And it still doesn't work or get recognised?

No idea why this is now not working at all? no OS updates or anything to break it?

Help?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 1:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2022 1:31 AM

May it be suggested that the user re-read the earlier replies but just incase aspects were over looked ?

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. There are two methods supplied by Apple and choose the method specific to Apple Silicon

2 - While in Safe Mode - try adding only one Finger Print

3 - After thought, the equal to an Intel SMC Reset which this computer Does Not Have is the shutdown the computer completely and disconnect from charger.

4 - The current version as of Sept 2022 is version 12.6 and also brings a separate update to Safari to version 16

5 - if none of the above works to fix this computer issue -->>

Then have a few other suggestions ;

A - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

B - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2022 1:31 AM in response to pitchfork

May it be suggested that the user re-read the earlier replies but just incase aspects were over looked ?

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. There are two methods supplied by Apple and choose the method specific to Apple Silicon

3 - After thought, the equal to an Intel SMC Reset which this computer Does Not Have is the shutdown the computer completely and disconnect from charger.

4 - The current version as of Sept 2022 is version 12.6 and also brings a separate update to Safari to version 16

5 - if none of the above works to fix this computer issue -->>

Then have a few other suggestions ;

A - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

B - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Oct 20, 2022 2:22 AM in response to pitchfork

This is undocumented, AFAIK , but there is a Limit of 5 Finger Prints that can be Stored in the T2 Chip.

But , as the user has said they have removed all the stored Finger Prints to redo this process.

Perhaps after removing all Prints >>

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

3 - Will it respond and allow adding just one finger print ?

Lastly , user stated running Monterey 12.5.1

The current version as of Sept 2022 is version 12.6 and also brings a separate update to Safari to version 16

Use Touch ID on Mac

EDITED - added link

Oct 20, 2022 4:14 PM in response to PRP_53

So are you saying that my M1 Max doesn't have a Safe Mode or SMC Reset?

I have shut down completely, and disconnected from power, overnight and rebooted, and still nothing working on the Touch ID.

I have removed all fingerprints from Touch ID, and tried to do them again, and again Touch ID is unresponsive even for new fingerprints?

I am on Monterey 12.5.1 which was working fine with me unlocking my Mac with Touch ID as well as installing software using Touch ID instead of typing the password, but suddenly it stopped working?

Surely things like this don't just stop working half way through?

If there was a SMC reset or Safe boot mode, then that would be good to try on the M1 Max?

Touch ID just now failing to work or scan??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.