You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i change core application icons?

I am running 10.15.7 on a mac mini from 2012, i can't update any further. I have been adding custom icons for all my apps, however, when I try to change the icons for the core apps (i.e., system preferences, app sore, notes, photos, messages, etc.) it doesn't let me, when I follow the step by step tutorial from apple, (Change icons for files or folders on Mac – Apple Support (AU) ) using the method apple suggested (copy and pasted buttons in the top bar) but the paste button is greyed out. I need any other strategies to get around the restrictions apple has placed. I am willing to try using the terminal if possible, however, keep in mind I am using 10.15.7 so it may be different. I have downloaded all my icons from macosicons.com.

I even tried entering the package contents section thru the applications tab in finder, but I can't add my own images into it, nor remove the current .icns that are in there.

any solutions??

p.s I have heard people say to use "csrutil disable" but I have no clue what that is, or how to use it

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 10:52 PM

7 replies

Oct 22, 2022 11:14 PM in response to hamilton277

hamilton277 Said:

"have heard people say to use 'csrutil disable' but I have no clue what that is, or how to use it"

-------

About csrutil disable:

csrutil disable

This is a command performed in the Terminal. It disables System Integrity Protection --something not to mess with. So, let that be.

Change Core Icons:

As for changing icons, you only option for builtin apps is to change its size through screen ratio. These are builtin apps, and you cannot mode them.

how do i change core application icons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.