You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri & voice to text not working

Hello,

With recent updates Siri and voice dictation have not registered that I’m saying anything. Siri responds to “hey siri” but then says “something went wrong” after I ask my question. Voice dictation has the loading circle like it’s listening for me, but then just stays blank. I have turned Siri off & back on, my voice comes through on front facing camera/in a voice memo, and I’ve turned my phone off and back on. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is it a bug within the updates?

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 10:41 AM

1 reply

Oct 25, 2022 4:48 PM in response to kaylea094

Hello kaylea094,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. 

We are happy to assist you with Siri and dictation.

Please try the steps as listed here: If "Hey Siri" isn't working on your iPhone - Apple Support

If Siri stops responding

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap Siri & Search.
  3. Tap Siri Responses. 
  4. Tap Prefer Spoken Responses to hear Siri speak responses, even when Silent mode is turned on.

We recommend the steps as listed here for Dictation: Use Dictation on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Dictate text

1. To enter text, tap the microphone button  on your keyboard, then start speaking. As you speak, the text appears on the screen. To finish, stop speaking, then tap the keyboard button .
  2. If dictation isn’t sure what word it heard, you'll see a blue line under the transcribed word so you can check it for accuracy. To make corrections, tap the underlined word, then select the correct spelling. To replace a word, double-tap it, tap the microphone button , then say it again, and tap the keyboard button 
  3. To replace a section, select what you want to replace, then tap the microphone button  and speak again. To add more text, tap where you want to add new text, tap the microphone button , then speak again.
  4. To change the language that dictation uses, long press the microphone button , then select the language you want to use.

We also recommend the tips here: If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support

If the microphone doesn't work in a specific app

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone.
  2. Make sure that the app is enabled.
  3. If the app has permission to access your microphone, or if it isn't listed, contact the app developer.

If no issue resolution, please contact Apple Support here: Apple Support

Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

Siri & voice to text not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.