You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently deleted a text thread and read about how to recover the thread by tapping edit in messages then show recently deleted. I do not see “show recently deleted”, only “select messages” “edit pins” and “edit name and photo ios 16.1 installed

How donI recover a deleted imessage thread? I am not seeing “show recently deleted” in the drop down when I tap edit in messages. I am using iOs 16.1. Don’t care how it gets done, I just need to get the thread back! No, I didn’t back up the phone…

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 4:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 5:06 PM

That is because you deleted them prior to updating to iOS 16. If the thread is in your backup and you have not turned on iCloud Messages you can restore from that backup. You will lose any data added since the date/time of that backup.

8 replies

I recently deleted a text thread and read about how to recover the thread by tapping edit in messages then show recently deleted. I do not see “show recently deleted”, only “select messages” “edit pins” and “edit name and photo ios 16.1 installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.