You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Ventura external monitor woes

I just upgraded to macOS Ventura and now my external monitor (BenQ PD2700U, 27" 4K monitor) is all screwed up. The resolution is very tiny. The scaling option is no longer in Settings > Display. You can only switch between "1920x1080 (Default)" which looks enormous, unclear, and awful, or this tiny "3840x2160 (low resolution)" that looks clear but is nearly illegible it's so tiny. I've downloaded all kinds of apps trying to fix this to no avail. I never had this problem with the exact setup in Mojave. It seems like it just needs to be able to zoom in a step or two to look normal again. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 8:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 8:34 PM

I have a similar issue, I updated to macOS Ventura, and now my monitor disconnects every 2 minutes like if it would lose cable signal. It is connected via USB-C. Had no issue running it this way for the past year until updating the OS. MacBook Pro M1 Pro Max.

Similar questions

13 replies

Oct 28, 2022 5:39 PM in response to cheng197

UPDATE: My external monitor is currently connected via USB-C on the right port of the Mac Book Pro M1Max (the one next to the HDMI port). I removed and installed the USB-C on the same port multiple times, with multiple restarts giving me the same result. However, I moved the USB-C to the left side port (next to MagSafe power) and the issue stopped.1 I left it for 12 hours just to test. I had no issues. I went back to the right side USB-C port (the original one that was giving me issues) and now the issue seemed to stop. Other than swapping the USB-C from one port to the other, I haven't done anything else to make the issue stop. Odd... Will keep posted if anything changes.

Nov 1, 2022 11:36 AM in response to Oliver Reid

Oliver, that was the setup I was using (as far as shutting the lid of the MacBook) prior to the resolution/scaling issue. And other than the software update, nothing changed from the setup I had prior.

For now, the best solution I've been able to come up with is using BetterDisplay Pro. It is not a native solution, which I despise, but it does work and has allowed me to get on with my life. It has, thus far, proved to be reliable.

Nov 29, 2022 6:42 AM in response to jblankity

Bizarre, I guess I recently updated my new imac (2021 24" Imac with the M1 chip) to Ventura 13.0.1, and my second monitor (a 2010 27" imac) resolution was completely messed up--kindergarten large and not very clear on every resolution I tried. Found this discussion and literally swapped the connection cable to the second lightning port, and poof, it's fixed. Don't need to know why, happy to worked, and wanted to share that fix is worth is a try.

Dec 19, 2022 1:47 AM in response to jblankity

I had the same with an M1 Air and a Samsung U28E590 - the control to switch between inputs is annoying on the monitor so the signal path was: Laptop -> Anker usbc multfiunction dongle -> HDMI cable -> HDMI switch -> monitor (HDMI port). Which had worked fine for years, until updating to Ventura.

Removing the HDMI switch (and just cos it was easier) moving to a different cable thats display port/HDMI solved the problem. The Anker adapter is still in path.

Seems theres something extra twitchy on the signal detection (maybe hdcp too?) with Ventura

Mar 10, 2023 5:36 PM in response to jblankity

I finally found a solution that fixed the resolution issue after upgrading to Ventura and losing my high resolution display options for my Dell 3008WFP with a default resolution is 2560x1600 - it still has a great image.

In Ventura, the new Display settings only show 1920x1200 as the maximum size, and the old hidden option to show higher res display sizes is now gone...

1) To fix the issue, search for the display preferences file on your Mac by opening a new finder window and typing Command+Shift+G. A popup window will appear with a text entry line.

2) Paste this - /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.display.plist - into the pup-up window and hit return. It'll take you directly to the .plist file in the preferences folder.

3) Delete the com.apple.windowserver.display.plist file.

4) Make sure your monitor is plugged into the computer and restart. I surmise that this may help Ventura adopt higher resolutions that are provided by the monitor to the computer.

After restart, my native Dell monitor resolution of 2560x1600 shows up in the Display preferences.

*Please note that that if you're using an adapter cable from USB-C to HDMI with a MacBook Pro S1 or S2 to a previous generation monitor like the Dell, you'll max out at 1920x. After extensive head banging, it appears that previous generation monitors like my Dell are equipped with HDMI 1.0, but HDMI 2.0 is required for higher resolutions.

Instead of using an HDMI connection, I purchased a USB-C to Display Port cable, which allows me to use the higher native resolution of 2560x1600 without any issues on the older Dell.

I hope this works for you!

macOS Ventura external monitor woes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.