You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac os ventura and WindowServer [179] crash

Anybody finding that the upgrade to Ventura is just crashing when using stage manager and switching between applications. Mac Min 2021. ?

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 1:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 6:09 AM

No not when using stage manager, but just ordinary activities (like closing a Safari window) will trigger such a crash every few days. My two screens show a checker pattern for a fraction of a second, then I am unceremoniously shown my login screen. This happens on my 2020 Intel iMac but has never happened on my 2021 M1Max MacBook Pro. Have had two crashes so far, both reported automatically to Apple. When this happens to you are you logged off or does the whole system crash (like a kernel panic)?

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 30, 2022 6:09 AM in response to davidd62

No not when using stage manager, but just ordinary activities (like closing a Safari window) will trigger such a crash every few days. My two screens show a checker pattern for a fraction of a second, then I am unceremoniously shown my login screen. This happens on my 2020 Intel iMac but has never happened on my 2021 M1Max MacBook Pro. Have had two crashes so far, both reported automatically to Apple. When this happens to you are you logged off or does the whole system crash (like a kernel panic)?

Nov 14, 2022 1:45 AM in response to davidd62

me too. since upgrading to the Ventura, I have encountered this problem every few days, and each time i will force shutdown and then reboot to solve it. Recently I found that it seems to be caused by WindowSever, so whenever I encounter this problem, I carefully open the process to terminate the process and log back in. I hope Apple officially solves this problem as soon as possible...

mac os ventura and WindowServer [179] crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.