You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

im running high sierra 10.13.6 i installed a new pro tools which requires 10.14. and higher i NEED TO UPGRARD MY OS WILL VENTURA BO OK

I'm running high sierra 10.13.6 and just bought a protools upgrade which doesn't run on my old high sierra I need to upgrade to 10.14 or higher. I'm running on a mac book pro can I upograde to ventura without losing anything in my exsisting pro tool library

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 1:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 1:26 PM

Hey thom183,

the model year of your Mac determines upgrades to Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura.

Mojave

Catalina

Big Sur

Monterey

Ventura

Before each upgrade/update you should create an external backup ❗️of your most important data

and before starting the installation you should perform a NVRAM reset: start the Mac with the 4 keys pressed

"option cmd P R"

and only release the keys when you hear a second loud startup sound after the first one.

So if your Mac is listed for a possible upgrade to Mojave, Catalina or any newer MacOS, start Safari ❗️and just click the marked link suitable on the following Apple Support page

How to download macOS - Apple Support

which will automatically port you to the App Store from which you can download and install any compatible MacOS.

To upgrade to MacOS Big Sur or Monterey, you need at least 36 GB or 26 GB❗️free space on your boot drive/SSD, respectively; furthermore, you should not have any antivirus software installed, which will prevent a smooth installation of Big Sur or Monterey.

Important ❗️

Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura operate on 64bit architecture and no longer run 32bit apps; furthermore, you will need to adapt your peripherals (Printer, Scanner and so on) to the new MacOS or 64bit environment in question.

Although not purely necessary, I would recommend you a "clean install", i.e. delete the SSD/HDD of your Mac completely (Extended journaled/APFS, GUID partition table), whereby of course all data on the volume/HDD/SSD will be irretrievably lost, therefore --> backup!

In case of problems, --> Com again 😎

Cheera

Manfred

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 31, 2022 1:26 PM in response to thom183

Hey thom183,

the model year of your Mac determines upgrades to Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura.

Mojave

Catalina

Big Sur

Monterey

Ventura

Before each upgrade/update you should create an external backup ❗️of your most important data

and before starting the installation you should perform a NVRAM reset: start the Mac with the 4 keys pressed

"option cmd P R"

and only release the keys when you hear a second loud startup sound after the first one.

So if your Mac is listed for a possible upgrade to Mojave, Catalina or any newer MacOS, start Safari ❗️and just click the marked link suitable on the following Apple Support page

How to download macOS - Apple Support

which will automatically port you to the App Store from which you can download and install any compatible MacOS.

To upgrade to MacOS Big Sur or Monterey, you need at least 36 GB or 26 GB❗️free space on your boot drive/SSD, respectively; furthermore, you should not have any antivirus software installed, which will prevent a smooth installation of Big Sur or Monterey.

Important ❗️

Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura operate on 64bit architecture and no longer run 32bit apps; furthermore, you will need to adapt your peripherals (Printer, Scanner and so on) to the new MacOS or 64bit environment in question.

Although not purely necessary, I would recommend you a "clean install", i.e. delete the SSD/HDD of your Mac completely (Extended journaled/APFS, GUID partition table), whereby of course all data on the volume/HDD/SSD will be irretrievably lost, therefore --> backup!

In case of problems, --> Com again 😎

Cheera

Manfred

im running high sierra 10.13.6 i installed a new pro tools which requires 10.14. and higher i NEED TO UPGRARD MY OS WILL VENTURA BO OK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.