You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone no longer controlling volume on Apple Tv

My iPhone no longer controls the volume of my Apple TV. It used to work great and then one day (maybe after an iOS update?) it just stopped. The light on my Apple TV doesnt even blink when I press the side buttons anymore. Everything else works great. It’s plugged into an arc port. Settings on the tv are unchanged/correct. But I’m at a loss. Any ideas?

alright I stole this question from another post as I was having this same issue and there wasn’t a solution on that post and today I randomly found a solution that worked for both my wife and me to get our iPhones to control the tv sound again.

with the TV playing make a phone call to a friend (I called another iPhone I’m not sure if that is needed or not) while on the call turn your phones speaker phone on. With the call still active open your Apple Remote and adjust the volume using your sides buttons. I ended the call and At this point it activated my Apple Remote to again control my TVs volume.

Since I was able to replicate this problem and fix on two phones my guess is others are still having this problem and will unlikely stumble onto the solution like I did. Post a comment here if you try this out and what your results are.

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 10:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 10:33 PM

Set up the Apple TV Remote in Control Center

• Open Control Center: ... 
  • Tap the Apple TV Remote.
  • Tap your Apple TV or smart TV from the list.
  • When asked, follow the onscreen instructions to enter a four-digit passcode into your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 31, 2022 10:33 PM in response to GHAMMMMS

Set up the Apple TV Remote in Control Center

• Open Control Center: ... 
  • Tap the Apple TV Remote.
  • Tap your Apple TV or smart TV from the list.
  • When asked, follow the onscreen instructions to enter a four-digit passcode into your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Oct 31, 2022 10:32 PM in response to GHAMMMMS

Change the Apple TV app settings on iPhone

1. Go to Settings > TV.
  2. Choose streaming options: Use Cellular Data: Turn off to limit streaming to Wi-Fi connections. Cellular: Choose High Quality or Automatic. ... 
  3. Choose download options: Use Cellular Data: Turn off to limit downloads to Wi-Fi connections.

Change the Apple TV app settings on iPhone

Oct 31, 2022 10:30 PM in response to GHAMMMMS

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Headphone Accommodations, then turn on Headphone Accommodations. Tap Custom Audio Setup, then follow the onscreen instructions. Or manually set any of the following: Tune Audio For: Choose Balanced Tone, Vocal Range, Brightness, or Audiogram (if available).

Adjust headphone audio settings on iPhone - Apple Support (IN)

iPhone no longer controlling volume on Apple Tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.